Monday, November 20, 2017

The Durrells in Corfu


Eleutheria

I watched the last episode of Season II last night - I'll watch it again midweek.  I love the story - it's very funny at times.  There were scenes and situations which made me wonder if John Fowles might have been influenced by the Trilogy written by Gerald Durrell.  At any rate, I was reminded of the Fowles masterpiece, The Magus.



One scene of a fool, a sort of fawn, playing a flute while trapping songbirds in the woods was particularly enchanting to watch.  The meaning is to be found in the Tarot of course, the card of the Fool.  Yet it also brought to mind the Orthodox Fool for Christ.  All very Greek and mythological and sacred.  The meaning of the scene is deciphered in and through the Tarot card - but it is all about freedom - something essential in the story of The Magus, as well.  Yet it is even more evident in the Holy Fool - that freedom of spirit which comes from the Holy Spirit.  Too much to discuss here, but I found the scene enchanting.

I believe in 'foolishness' - freedom of spirit.  It is often experienced in the sacrament of penance - when many attachments and constraints caused by sin are released, and negative thoughts are dispersed.

Anyway ... I like the innocence and simplicity of the fool.  To be free of every encumbrance of sin which clings to me - that's the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.