Sunday, August 27, 2017

The death of unknown saints ...

The discovery of the body of St Alexis or the death of St Alexis, 
by Georges de La Tour (1593-1652)


I often think of St. Alexis, as a special patron for single men.

My friend Ray Marshall has died.  Apparently alone, in his apartment.  He used to get mad at me because I'm so reclusive.  Not too long ago - around our birthdays he said we better get together quick because he doesn't have much time left.  I said okay - but never did anything.  Now Ray has died.  Alone, in his apartment.

Found the following notice on his Facebook page from a friend of his ...

Thursday August 17 Ray did not show up at the VA. VA officials called the police to check on Ray and they found that he had passed at his home. I understand that It took a while for officials to connect with Ray's family so the announcement to the public of his death was delayed. I have heard that there will be funeral services for Ray in Duluth but have no details. All of this information is second hand so I can not vouch for complete accuracy. He was a special soul. God Bless you Ray Marshall. - Matt Gulseth

I'm so sorry.

For my neglects, but so edified by Ray and his good example.

Ray was a good, kind man.  He was very accepting of me.  He reminded me of my older brother Skip in many ways - they shared the same birthday.  He was a devout man, frequented the sacraments - loved confession, prayed, and spent his free time serving others.

He died alone.  Like St. Alexis, like Matt Talbot, like so many other single guys ...  although, I don't believe they died alone - nor are they alone now.

Ray volunteering at OL Lourdes.
Ray is in the blue apron.

16 comments:

  1. What a stunning last sentence on the death of your dear friend, especially the words 'though I don't believe they died alone - nor are they alone now.' In assisting a wonderful Secular Carmelite before death, she encouraged me to 'hang in there' and I responded 'I'll see you again' and then we both laughed because we knew what we meant. And then I kissed her. She had what we used to call and I still do...a happy death. That term needs to be, no pun intended, resurrected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day I pray for a happy death. Thanks for that story - I love that.

      Delete
  2. Growing up the "good Sisters" as my high school Franciscian men referred to them, taught us to pray to St Joseph for a "happy death." I always found that odd. As a kid death was to be feared and in no way happy. Now as an "older" man I get it. I hope your friends was a happy death. Sounds like he earned that and will be rewarded for a life well lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day I pray for a happy death, and every day I pray for the sick and dying and the dead.

      Delete
  3. I lit a candle for him in front of the statue of the Infant of Prague.

    Father talked about Ray's holiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy he talked about his holiness.

      Delete
  4. http://www.shrinesf.org/virtual-candle.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did he blog around the same time as Cathy of Alex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - you would have encountered him - BFF with Cathy.

      Delete
    2. *sigh* prayers for the repose of his soul ascending :(

      Delete
  6. I will remember him at Vespers today. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the privilege to witness a happy death over the weekend while on duty. An elderly woman, her daughter as the primary caregiver, all alone without any family support, died at home while on Hospice care.

    The grace of seeing how quickly and how quietly our Lord works will have me reflecting on this death for a long time.

    I arrived to start the case, daughter is alone with her dying mother, overwhelmed and upset because "she called two local parishes and neither one answered my call. I want a priest here now!"
    After assessing my patient and asking the Holy Family for help especially San Jose's, I called the on call MSW, made the request for help in finding a priest and them put the matter in the Lord's hands.

    In the meantime, in managing my patient's symptoms, I had the opportunity to listen to her daughter's concerns, about her mother's long illness, her fears her mother would die without having received the Last Rites. It was then that I knew San Jose would come to our aid as I began to share with her about his powerful and grace-filled intercession when someone is approaching imminent death.

    "He's the Patron Saint of a happy death"
    "Really, how so?"
    "Think about it, Catholic tradition teaches us that when his own death was imminent, our Lady and our Lord Jesus were at his bedside."
    "Wow, never thought of that before."
    "Yes, a happy death rich in hope and in mercy."

    By God's merciful grace, a Catholic priest was found, he arrived, anointed my patient, prayed with the daughter, consoled her with his compassion.

    While all this was happening, I knew and understood that my patient would soon die thereafter peacefully, in God's good graces.

    And she did ... no sooner had Father E left, her breathing pattern changed, she became still, calm, while I encouraged her daughter to stay close to her mama until she died.

    The Lord at work through the intercession of San Jose and our Lady.

    My condolences dear Terry.

    May your friend be accompanied to be presented to the Lord in His holy temple by Mary and Joseph. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yaya. xo

      Delete
    2. Yaya - I want you there when I die! How beautiful. Thanks for this story.

      Delete
  8. God bless you Yaya. That is a touching and beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is all grace to be shared and to be remembered so that when our time comes we too may seek the intercession of the Holy Family not only for ourselves, but for our loved ones and for the world.

    I am glad to have shared this experience with all of you.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.