Thursday, June 22, 2017

I'm not going back on that Bridge.



I'm stepping back from the LGBTQ Bridge Building project.

I think it was Dawn Eden who connected PTSD to the effects of childhood sexual abuse in adults.  I've always shied away from using a term like that, since I'm unwilling to diminish the meaning of the disorder for survivors of very severe trauma, such as suffered by wounded vets, victims of torture, and so on.  Nevertheless, there are aspects of PTSD which may be attributed to psychological trauma caused by abuse and other negative experiences.  Maybe that's what is wrong with me.

I always step into it when I write about gay-ssa-lgbtq crap.  It is crap, let me tell you.  Even as I read supportive books and articles - supportive of leaving gay behind and promoting Catholic teaching, offering encouragement for one who has spent many decades integrating oneself into the sacramental life of the Church, it is difficult to deal with all the 'talk' which surrounds it.  You want to move on but the controversy can pull you down.  For me it's like always talking about exorcism and exorcists and demonology and possession - when you handle pitch you get dirty.  Frequently, those engaged in ministry - on either side of the issue can make mistakes and exceed established boundaries when reaching out to others.

You get accused too.  You get talked about.  You get labeled and summarily dismissed.  You carry that weight even though your shoulders have been freed of the burden.  Remember Lot's wife?  I have to remember her.  She turned to watch the Sodomites perishing, while Lot made it across the bridge.  She got stuck there - and turned to stone.  I don't want to go back on that bridge, much less look back.

There are many good people online to help others discern the truth about homosexuality and authentic Catholic teaching - there are also crackpots who deviate from Catholic teaching.  I have nothing to offer anyone on the subject, except to direct people to the Catechism of the Catholic Church and documents on the subject at the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith.  Courage Apostolate is the best resource for how to integrate oneself into the sacramental life of the Church, as well as the best support for living a chaste, celibate, holy life in obedience to God's will.  One can join a Courage chapter, or simply use the resources offered by Courage.  The Church is enough - the sacraments and spiritual direction in confession or outside the sacrament, prayer and fidelity to the duties of one's state in life is sufficient for salvation.  A Catholic, no matter what his background, should be able to be accepted and able to fit into the ordinary parish community.  One can always trust the Church but remember her ministers are only human and sometimes over-compensate and err on the side of caution, or worse, permissiveness.  Men will always dissappoint you.  Christ is for you and is faithful - even when we or his ministers are not.

That's all I need to say.


The Crucifixion by Altichiero da Zevio c.1380 Detail. 
The angels take the soul of the 'good thief'.


The Cross is a denial of self, but in service to the will of God himself who makes life come from death and empowers those who trust in him to practise virtue in place of vice. 
To celebrate the Paschal Mystery, it is necessary to let that Mystery become imprinted in the fabric of daily life. To refuse to sacrifice one's own will in obedience to the will of the Lord is effectively to prevent salvation. Just as the Cross was central to the expression of God's redemptive love for us in Jesus, so the conformity of the self-denial of homosexual men and women with the sacrifice of the Lord will constitute for them a source of self-giving which will save them from a way of life which constantly threatens to destroy them. 
Christians who are homosexual are called, as all of us are, to a chaste life. As they dedicate their lives to understanding the nature of God's personal call to them, they will be able to celebrate the Sacrament of Penance more faithfully and receive the Lord's grace so freely offered there in order to convert their lives more fully to his Way. - Letter to Bishops 1986


27 comments:

  1. Did you hear about Fr. Martin's latest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. His latest tweets strung together: If bishops ban members of same-sex couples from funeral rites, they must also ban divorced and remarried Catholics without annulments, women who have children out of wedlock, members of straight couples living together before marriage [and] anyone using birth control, for these are all similarly against "church teaching" on sexuality. Moreover, they must ban anyone who has gone against the church's teaching on caring for the poor and on caring for the environment. More basically, they must ban anyone who hasn't been forgiving, or merciful, or loving. That last category are the teachings of Jesus's, the most basic of "church teachings." To focus only on LGBT people, even those in same-sex marriages, without a similar focus on the sexual or moral behavior of straight people is in the words of the "Catechism" a "sign of unjust discrimination" (2358).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I did see that. I can't recommend his book and guidance on this subject to anyone. He lost me when he played dumb about anal sex - which is the very definition of sodomy. It's not just a gay thing. It is a sin which cries out to heaven. There is nothing more reprehensible than that - it is a grave mortal sin and an insult to the dignity of the human person.

      Delete
  3. I was just at New Ways Ministries blog. I need a bath and some brain bleach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think they are only just getting started ... gotta do the dishes in a bit. As I wash them, I am going to invite San Jose to help me out and together, lift up every one who is unhappy with the Church and what she stands for in prayer.

      Let's roll our sleeves up, San Jose. :)

      Delete
    2. Yaya, I'm going to join you and San Jose :)

      Delete
  4. Another example of the schism that is splitting the Church. I really do not care to judge the state of a person's soul when they request sacramental grace. That is up to God alone. Married, unmarried, adulterous, repentant, murder or thief no one presents as free of sin. I just cannot get into this debate because the evil in our world is so much greater then this and in one way or another we are all complicit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At adoration this evening the word apostasy resonated with me. It was a difficult hour for me.

      Delete
    2. There is so much nattering about conscience trumping Church teaching but they forget that the conscience must be formed properly according to Church teaching. And they keep trotting out "who am I to judge" but they forget that Jesus said "and go and sin no more". I know, I know...preaching to the choir here. *sigh*

      Delete
    3. Amen! I don't mind being reminded as it keeps me in place and helps me to remain steadfast as best I can.

      Delete
  5. No I do not forget Jesus's words to sin no more. Actually thought about it as I wrote my comment. I also thought about taking the log out of my own eye before judging and condemning others, not throwing the first stone. Jesus gave as an example of how to live. Never did he shun a sinner but rather embraced him or her. Like I said the schism is here and will deepen. Last year the pastor of a neighboring parish stoped a firneral mass mid stream and told everyone to leave. The offense? Family and friends were intent on giving their eulogies after the gospel and not wait to the conclusion of the Mass. my Bishop supported him. I gladly leave the judging to God. I am not worthy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difficult hour for me was understanding my part in the problem. Don't ask me to explain. I can't.

      Delete
    2. I looked up apostasy Terry to refresh my memory. It is a complete reversal of belief, a turning away and denial. It also refers to vowed persons who leave religious life. I just cannot side with denying sacraments or giving only to "worthy" people. There is no end in enforcing that edit. Jesus, as far as I can tell, just did not do that. I drive my wife crazy when I object to litergical practices that I think do not fit my idea of proper rubrics. I know it is silly but is a part of my indoctrination. Like I said there are too many serious issues. Most young people I know want nothing to do with these church arguments. Suicide was once a reason to deny a Christian burial too. Not anymore in most RC churches. All are welcome was a popular parish motto. Not so much today. I get the logic of the argument. I just cannot abide the judge mental enforcement. I know I fit all the acceptable categories but I also know in my heart that I am not worthy to judge the heart of anyone else.

      Delete
    3. The people I'm referring to don't give a fig about church teaching, what the bible says, nothing. They want what they want when they want it (see also garden, fruit, expulsion)We are ALL sinners - that's why Jesus came to Earth. The dissenters are a modern day Tower of Babel. At the same time priests need to be very clear in their homilies on regular Sundays and prior to funeral Masses, etc. what is acceptable and what is not. When the priest or pastoral assistant meets the grieving family before Mass they need to be told NO eulogy during Mass - that is for the reception. Sorry for the rant - it's late and I should go to bed.

      Delete
    4. I'm better today. LOL! Wallace - I don't like the judgmental attitude either constant inquisition either - man, I just kinda went through that with someone because I didn't condemn Fr. Martin's book. Today I read that a young priest barred a gay man from singing at a funeral - I don't know the whole story, but man, if that's where all this is going - in reaction to Martin's book - it's getting nuts. And yeah - I can't call an apostasy or schism or anyone a heretic. Those are canonical designations and need Magisterial approval.

      Delete
  6. Be strong in your Faith, my friend. I am having a problem with the OFS right now. We are forced to support, through our yearly dues, the Franciscan Action Network, which promoted and supported New Ways Ministry in their petition to the K of C to cease their support of life, family, and healthcare conscience issues, and to support their pro-gay agenda, which defies Church teaching. No one in Franciscan leadership can give me a straight, simple explanation and justification for this. I love being a Franciscan, and I take my vows to be obedient to Church teaching very seriously. It is very painful for me to contemplate renouncing my vows because to be a good Franciscan seems to mean being a disobedient Catholic. I am praying for you, Terry. Please pray for me. Susan, ofs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan - I will pray. The secular Franciscans have been like that for a long time. I'm professed in ofs but consider myself an 'isolated' member. Don't know if that counts - but. Anyway - you are professed so you will be claimed by the order if you become famous or become a saint - believe me. But there is a group who follow the original rule - Brothers and Sisters of Penance - check them out here: http://www.bspenance.org/

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Terry. I may end up an "isolated" Franciscan, as you are. No one in Franciscan leadership, from local to national, can give me a direct, specific justification about FAN's anti-Catholic activities, discourse, and demeanor, especially in view of their public support of New Ways Ministry. They think I am a whack job. So I went to my parish priests. They were appalled. My pastor (formerly OFM, now diocesan) advised me to never give money or support to any organization that goes against Church teaching, even if it has "Franciscan" in front of its name. He equated it to supporting Planned Parenthood, Masonic organizations, or the KKK. They may participate in some worthy activities, but if even a tiny percentage of what they do is against the Church, to support them would put my soul in mortal danger, and create a scandal and mislead others as well. I understand that if I withhold the portion of my yearly dues that goes to FAN as a conscientious objection, money will be moved around to cover it between before it gets to national, so my objection is worthless. I cannot help but think this is not what St. Francis had in mind for his spiritual children. When people use the phrase, "my heart is heavy," I fully understand it now. I thank you, brother, for you spiritual support. I will not forget to pray for you as well. Peace - Susan, ofs

      Delete
    3. Thanks Susan - your pastor is right about the donation thing. Sounds like a good man. Thanks for your prayers.

      Delete
  7. The difference between same sex marriage and the other sins is that, first, same sex couples inherently show that they're sinners with no intent to repent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't know nuthin' about ss marriage except to say I'm against it and don't get it. I know homosexual acts are sinful and that back end one is a horrible sin, no matter who engages in it - male on male on female on little kid. Yesterday on Facebook someone posted a photo of a dog who had been used sexually - it was a horrible photo - but I think bestiality is as bad as the back-end sex - sodomy. Sodomy is not just a gay sin.

      Delete
    2. My point is that same sex couples present as sinners simply by presenting that way where other sins aren't obvious like that. You don't know who's divorced or living in sin without more information.

      Delete
    3. True. I understand know counselor.

      Delete
    4. Crap - I meant - I understand now. Why can't blogger have a spell check for comments?

      Delete
  8. Lot's wife turned into a 'pillar of salt.' Now I'm the Bible cop as well as the grammar cop. It's hard but someone has to do it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that. Have you ever seen that Himalaya salt? - it's like stone - they make lamps out of it. And then, if you were really attentive you would have known I was thinking of the Four Tops song Turn To Stone. "Take your love from me, I'll turn to stone, turn to stone." What?

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.