Monday, November 24, 2014

Christ the King ...




I didn't reflect much here on yesterday's feast because that's what homilies are for - and I'm not a priest or deacon.  However, today I was able to consider the mystery more quietly, more intimately.

It's difficult for me to understand monarchy.  I love how Fr. Barron understands this and I appreciate what he said in a short essay for yesterdays solemnity.  He says if we have difficulty understanding the concept of kingship, we need to consider the type of King Christ is...
"He reigns not from a pompous throne, but from and instrument of torture; he wears not a gaudy crown of gold, but a bloody crown of thorns; he issues not peremptory commands, but words of promise. but words of promise: "This day you will be with me in paradise."  Don't be afraid utterly to submit every aspect of your life to this King, for his power empowers you and his command liberates you." - Fr. Barron for Magnificat
Some may think the image of the Infant Jesus (shown at top) is gaudy and pompous, but little kids don't think so - besides, they know he changes his clothes and appearance, and often disguises himself just to be with us - God with us.  He delights to be with the children of men, to play, to serve, to console, to encourage ... to search out and save what was lost.  He embraces us just as we are, and gently restores us in his image.

In fact, he is quite like his sweet Vicar on earth ...



Today ends the novena to the Infant Jesus, the last monthly novena before the solemn Christmas novena.  The Infant Jesus has so much to teach, and surprisingly, he gently takes his time to do this.  Many years ago he could have revealed to me all my sins - my most hidden sins, those I wasn't even aware of; my lack of charity and kindness, my judging others according to the rules, while I made exception for my own personal weakness - when I was often too blinded by my own brilliance to see how disfigured my 'personal' piety was.  Every month the Infant Jesus helps me to grow in wisdom and self knowledge - and how much I hope - in charity, for charity covers a multitude of sins.  I hope those whom I have hurt will forgive me.

In a month it will be Christmas Eve