Friday, June 13, 2014

Former model Olalla Oliveros ... and religious order fashions.

Olalla Oliveros.  Make-up did a lot.  I recall an article
concerning her conversion at Fatima when she said she was
thinking of becoming a nun - I can't find the piece right now.

Keep it simple and stay off television talent shows after final vows.

Somewhere - I think it may have been in Seven Story Mountain that Thomas Merton wrote that one of his greatest penances was living with men devoid of any taste.  That's not an exact quote, but it captures the sentiment.  Look around at any ordinary parish - check out the environment, the vestments, the women religious in capri pants and t-shirts.

Even new religious communities, though more traditional, demonstrate a surprising lack of aesthetic sensibility - especially when it comes to the design and coloration of religious habits.  Olalla Oliveros' community of St. Michael the Archangel adopted a strange habit.  The coloration and insignia seems a bit Disney to me.  The male branch of the order wears the same habit.


To each his own.  I expect there must be some spiritual significance to the variety, but plain, no color strikes me as the best and most modest choice for religious - but who am I to judge?  I've always said I could never be a priest or religious because I never liked the clothes.  Perhaps today Olalla Oloveros' greatest penance is the clothes.

Just for fun, a few unusual habits for view... (I'll update as I come across more.)

Not so bad - the blue is kind of intense though.



A little blueish.



North American classic.

What?



6 comments:

  1. The North American classic is the most ugly and unflattering of them all. Nothing of any simple beauty or warmth. Lacking in the desire to be the apple of God's eye, this sad fashion statement strips women of their feminine beauty and dignity. The others are strange too, in color, not so much in shape. I wonder if blue is the trend now where new communities are concerned? Trying to mirror our Lady?

    I saw three Korean Nuns at the store yesterday. Their habits were simple and modest, lovely in appearance. A solid light gray. My mom, who tends to be on the critical side even complimented their habit as she said "it was lovely."

    My favorites remain the Carmelites, Poor Clares and the Dominicans.

    Lord Jesus!
    Bless your daughters, everywhere with love, freedom to serve, and a radiant spirit so as to draw us all closer to you!
    Amen!

    Thomas Merton? A fashionista? Who would have thought? Amusing thought. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he was a seminarian, a priest told my friend where he buys his cleric shirt. My friend disdains fashion advice from priests. Which is hysterical because the fashion advice was about priestwear. I guess somewhere in the world should be a magazine: P Priestwear daily. Or perhaps decadely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Versace did some priest wear designs some years ago - she was inspired by Ganswein. I think clerical attire is fine for priests - nothing wrong with it. Same with religious habits - I'm not a fan of primary colors however. Except for Polo shirts and sports-wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors of the Royals (!)--the sports teams of Immaculata-La Salle High School, Miami--were blue and gold. We always lost. Let that be a warning: it's possible the Lord does not like that color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you remember the old fashion putdown -- "You look like a priest on his night off?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygosh! I didn't even think that the day I saw the bishop dressed like a tablecloth. True story; yellow and white checked shirt with a pair of jeans.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.