Tuesday, April 09, 2013

No bloggers were hurt by this post.



The spiritual combat..
"For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." - Ephesians 6:12 (So do not grow slack in your Easter celebration and relaxation. The devil prowls like a roaring lion.)
.
I don't know about you, but it seems to me the real spiritual battle only now begins. 
.
Of the Spirit of Conceit
.
Chapter 9 - How conceit is more perilous when mingled with virtue.
.
Other disorders when they are opposed by their opposite virtues, are engaged in the open like battle in the light of day, and can easily be overcome or avoided: this alone when it is entwined with virtues is far more dangerously deceptive to the unwary warrior, as if battle were joined in confusion, fighting in the thick of night.
.
Chapter 14 - How conceit suggests they might rise in the hierarchy.
.
Often it instills an ambition for Holy Orders and the priesthood or diaconate. If a monk has been chosen for ordination, it makes him imagine himself ministering with such piety and correctness that he can give an example of holiness to other priests, and winning many souls not only by his manner of life but also in his teaching and preaching. Even one dwelling in the desert or in a cell is made to imagine himself travelling round different houses and monasteries, and converting many by the eloquence of his fantasy discourses.

Just for fun:
Chapter 18 - How a monk should avoid women and bishops.
The consistent and still current teaching of the old Fathers (which I am embarrassed to repeat, I who failed to escape from my girl cousin, or elude the hands of the bishop) is that in all ways a monk should flee women and bishops. Neither would allow him, once entangled in their company, either to apply himself to peaceful work in his cell, or to cleave to divine contemplation, in the consideration of holy things with undistracted eye. - The Monastic Institutes, John Cassian
 

5 comments:

  1. Terry, but shouldn't Christians desire those things? I'm thinking of how lately I have had the chance to introduce some friends to the faith, and in particular, the young lady I told you about.

    I also imagine myself being a good father and teacher of the faith to my own wife and children and other people I know. I know the work is God's and not mine, but this sounds like we shouldn't imagine ourselves doing good by God.

    The particular friend I have talked with you about has been impressed by my example, and though I know this is God's doing, I pray that I can continue to set such an example that would lead her closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing it right Merc - I have been doing it wrong. This post is strictly about me. And monks no longer live like that - so it's not for them either. Just kidding - about the monks I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merc, let me know if your friend learns to pray the rosary. I can make one for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan makes beautiful rosaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, I would love that.

    For now, she's agreed to come with me to Mass next week. A regular weekday Mass. Actually, more than agree, she wants to.

    I'm also going to give her a copy of Fulton Sheen's catechsim talks, and pray for his intercession. I have the feeling that once she gets to know a little bit, the Rosary will be something she loves, and I will keep your offer in mind.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.