"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Missing Pope Benedict

Every night I pray for the Holy Fathers.

I pray for Benedict first, and then Francis.  Like a little kid, I suppose. 

I miss Pope Benedict very much and always resist the temptation to complain that we never hear about him; now that he is like a cloistered Carmelite, we never see him or receive messages either.  His birthday is coming up in six days, on St. Benedict Joseph's feast day - I've always imagined the Pope had a special devotion to the homeless saint, and perhaps even identified with him...

I was missing him last night and prayed...

Today Fr. Blake posted a report that Benedict is not doing well.  I'll pray for him even more now.

I've always said he is my favorite Pope ever - he still is.  That takes nothing away from the others, nor Pope Francis, BTW.


  1. He is my favorite, too.

  2. Nice post, though I'm still a Bl. John Paul II fan (the Pope I grew up with), but Pope Benedict is a VERY close second (and still my favorite theologian).

  3. I loved both Bl JPII and Pope B- but Pope B has a special place for me since I have a similar temperament and so I could always feel for him not wanting to be in front of crowds but doing it because it was the Lord's will for him- he will someday be remembered as a saint I think and his prayers are helping the Church in powerful ways that only God's knows.

  4. Good news is that Fr. Lombardi called the report foolish - Benedict's health is just fine - he pretty much described the Pope as being elderly and exhausted from all of his hard work.

    Fr. R I think he will be remembered as a saint as well.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.