Sunday, February 10, 2013

Trouble believing?



Set out into the deep.

When you have trouble understanding something, it can be a call to faith.

I had a friend once tell me that it finally got to a point in his life where he decided to just believe what the Church teaches on sexuality and gave in - he set out into the deep.  In that moment, he made an act faith... and grace poured in to his soul.  He finally 'got it" - he grew in wisdom and grace and understanding.

That happens a lot I think.  I've heard of contracepting couples acting similarly - just accepting what the Church teaches and dispensing with the artificial means, the control.  I've heard of alcoholics and smokers who, relying on grace, simply decide to quit, and they go on from strength to strength.  Others have said similar things about their vocation - after agonizing over the question, or trying to ignore it, they finally said, okay, I'll do it.

It takes an act of faith... similar to Peter's:  "... but at your command I will lower the nets."
O my God, I firmly believe that you are one God in three divine persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I believe that your divine Son became man and died for our sins, and that he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the holy Catholic Church teaches, because in revealing them you can neither deceive nor be deceived.
 
As the psalmist says:
I will run in the way of your commands, 
you give freedom to my heart! 





"We are with the crucified Christ; we are strangers. We do not live like everyone; we live according to his word, in great diversity. 'Everybody does it this way; why not me? I do not because I want to live according to God'." - Benedict XVI on the feast of OL of Confidence, Saturday before Lent, 2013





 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me. I still need to do my homework.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.