"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

The Jewess


"In aridity and emptiness the soul becomes humble. Former pride disappears when a man no longer finds in himself anything that might cause him to look down on others." - St. Edith Stein, Science of the Cross
Today is the memorial of St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, OCD, a Catholic Jew.  She died with her people, executed in the gas chambers of Auschwitz in 1942.
"For I could wish that I myself was accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh." - Romans 9:1-5


  1. Anonymous3:59 PM

    I like her. Years ago I read a bunch of her stuff. She was a real smart lady.



  2. Gette6:00 PM

    I love her. I predict she will one day be named a Doctor of the Church.

  3. I have a dimpled chinned darling and I can't help but look at St. Theresa with the same sort of admiration.

    There's always a bit of calm sweetness in her photos.

    And she was a mental Giant.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.