I got that question from a reader yesterday. He wondered, "Do you have to pay to blog - is that why bloggers ask for donations?"
My answer, "In 99.9% of the cases, the answer is no. Most bloggers do not pay for their blogs - it is usually a free service."
So why do they ask for donations? Here are a few reasons why I think some bloggers aren't too proud to beg:
- Intellectual property rights - you read what they write. They write therefore they are writers - writers get paid. They just want to get paid.
- They think they deserve to be supported by others. (And don't forget to thank them for their services either.)
- They are out of work and they are begging without looking like it... taking advantage of other people's generosity.
- They know there is 'great gain in religion' and they are not 'satisfied with a sufficiency'.
- They need to get to NYC and London more often.
- They are professional students enjoying la dolce vita.
- They are very devout Catholics doing the Lord's work.
- They are going to enter a monastery.
- They are a monastery.
- They are going to school to get a better job and can't even pay off their student debt from the first old college try.
- They are closet freeloaders.
- They are married with children and their Kmart job doesn't pay enough for them to go to Rome on vacation.
- They are greedy.
Otherwise I'm not really sure why bloggers ask for donations - I suppose they do it because they can - there's an app for that.