"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

An Ode To Falling Leaves: For Catherine

for catherine

tripping on the leaves...

oh! oh! the colors...

blowing in the wind...

the whirlwind!

everything is just blowing in the wind...

I am the wind...

you are the leaf...

with trails of leaves

chasing you...

encircling you...

in the whirlwind. - Terry Nelson


  1. You should be the national poet. This was moving.

    I think I will put it to music...


  2. Ooooo... lovely!

  3. Thanks Larry and Tara - I hope Cathy likes it - she's so literate you know.

  4. I like this very much, as well.
    Fall is such a wonderful season; you captured the "swirl of leaves"...beautiful!

  5. My Darling Ter: Are you and David Haas now collaborating on liturgical music?!? I'll listen for this composition at Mass!

    I look fabulous in that photo-even Belinda thinks so!!!!

  6. Miss Cathy: David Haas is a "has been"...Mr. Terry is now the "poet laureate"...Haugen-Haas can now retire..and prepare for whatever awaits them in the afterlife (did I say thaaaat??!)

  7. That's lovely, Terry. Neat picture, too.

  8. Melody - you really think so? I was just being silly with the poem. I know nothing about poems. Larry does though - he was with "Up With People". ;)


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.