"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Now for some really important updates...

I picked up my new glasses last evening and I can see clearly now.
.
I'm on my way to church.
.
I checked my mail.
.
I took a nap.
.
I also bought new art supplies last evening.
.
I'm going to be busy painting.
.
Contemporary art is kitsch - I know because I make it.  I just read a great article on the subject and I realized all my work is crap.  Isn't that great and liberating.  My parents were right... I couldn't paint my way out of a paper bag.
.
And yet I keep doing it.
.
Oh!  Oh!  I'm also writing a new self-help book, "You're No Good and Either Am I".

10 comments:

  1. And the Great St Thomas Aquinis said after his personal revelation, "All I have written is so much straw.."

    So you're in good company :)

    Sara

    P.S The world is always a better place with new glasses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping for crap art therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should collaborate on that book - I could write a chapter called "You'd Be A Much Better Person If You Were More Like Me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - like Ben Afleck and Matt Damon - we could be on Oprah! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    So you want Oprah's attention, aye? Why stop at a self-help book? Create your own freaking seminar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go to that seminar! By the way, I don't think your art is kitsch.
    During my brief foray with being an art major, I had a professor who had a perfect comeback for people who would say "I could paint a better picture than that." His answer was, "Then why don't you?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Melody!

    Enbrethiliel: Seminars - wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Austringer12:04 PM

    Terry, I may have mentioned this before, but a must-read book for all artists is "The Twilight of Painting" by R. H. Ives Gammell. It was published in 1946 0r 1947 -- you can get it used at Amazon. If you want to understand Modern "art", this is the best exposition of its causes, period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry - you can be Matt, I'll be Ben.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.