"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Intimation



Has it ever happened to you?
.
An intimation that someone needs your prayer - right now - drop what you are doing - pray!  I've awakened during the night like that.  Once I awoke as if someone had shaken me, and I immediately thought to pray for a man I met a few times, though I hardly knew him.  I should mention - for the sake of possible coincidence - that a parishioner had informed me a week or so prior to my experience that the fellow was ill and might be dying.  Anyway - the next morning at Mass another acquaintance from daily Mass came up to me and said, "Bob K. died during the night - did you know him?"  (I probably had been praying for him at the moment of his death.)
.
Today I felt an overwhelming sense to stop painting and pray for someone - perhaps a suicide - I tried to dismiss the thought but I couldn't get it out of my mind and I soon stopped what I was doing to pray.
.
Please pray for the fellow I was inspired to pray for today - or just pray especially for those who will commit suicide during the holidays.
.
Thanks.
.
Art: "The Suicide" - Antoine Wiertz (1806-1865)

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:13 AM

    I will pray, as you requested. Although I know it was not your intention,I am so struck by the ardor of your Faith. There seems to be such a clarity and purity in your Belief. Don't stop blogging. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:14 AM

    The above first post was from Maria, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this often happens to me. Sometimes I will think of a person I haven't thought of for years, and I stop and pray at least a Hail Mary or 3 for them. Sometimes I will dream of a person and wake up knowing that I should pray for them. I call this the inspirations of grace; and try never to ignore the call to pray for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austringer5:38 PM

    Terry, I will pray for the person you prayed for.

    I can't say that the feeling you describe has ever happened to me. However, I just finished reading Saint Faustina's diary, and that was a fairly common experience for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo what Austringer wrote - ever since I became a devotee of the DM, especially if I wake at 3 AM - I pray (especially for a former coworker who was addicted to drugs and alcohol and who lost his son a few years ago in a graduation drinking accident.)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.