Tuesday, December 27, 2022

St. Toribio Romo Gonzalez

 



St. Toribio Romo Gonzalez. Acrylic on panel. 16" x 20"


I finished my painting of the saint.  The photos are not the best, but I wanted to share the work - I spent Advent painting him.


Short biography of St. Toribio.

Born in Santa Ana de Guadalupe, which belongs to the parish of Jalostotitlán, Jal. (Diocese of San Juan de los Lagos), 16 April 1900. Vicar functions pastor in Tequila, Jalisco., (Archdiocese of Guadalajara). Priest sensitive heart, assiduous prayer. Passionate about the Eucharist asked many times: "Lord, let me not a single day of my life without saying Mass without Communion hold in'. In a First Communion, to take the Sacred Host in his hands, said: "And would accept my blood, Lord, I offer you the peace of the Church? 'While in Aguascalientes, a location near Tequila that served as refuge and center of his ministry, he wanted to acquaint the parish. Worked on Friday all day and all night. At five in the morning of Saturday February 25, 1928, wanted to celebrate the Eucharist but, feeling very tired and sleepy preferred to celebrate a little sleep better. He had hardly fallen asleep when a group of agrarians and soldiers entered the room and when one of them pointed, saying, "That's the priest, kill him"Father Toribio woke up scared, stood up and received a discharge. Wounded and walked a little hesitant, a new download, in the back, cut the life of the martyr and his generous blood that reddened the land of Jalisco Canyon. - Vatican website

Prayer

Holy Father, you who sent your Son to proclaim the Kingdom of Heaven to us, and He, obedient to your will, carried out the mission you gave Him to do, we pray that through the intercession of St. Toribio:
.
You care for and guide members of our families that have had to leave their homes for distant lands to improve their lives and those of their families. Keep them safe from harm and help them to stay firm in their Faith so that they can soon return to their homes strengthened in soul and body.
.
Through Christ our Lord, Amen
(St. Toribio Romo Shrine)

9 comments:

  1. Another inspirational painting Terry. Well done. I never have heard of him before. Today, I have read several reports that Pope Benedict is slipping away from us. I wonder if you have ever considered painting him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful painting, Terry. Eyes, the color of the sky.
      @ wallacehamilton: Vatican News reported that Papa Francis went to visit Papa Benedict after his General Audience today. There will be much rejoicing when Papa Benedict goes home to his eternal reward. I will miss him but will take much comfort in knowing that he will continue to intercede for the Church and her children until the end of time.

      Delete
    2. Walter - so many really good painters paint the pope(s) I tend to shy away. Thanks though.

      Delete
    3. Yaya! I missed you. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Just lovely, Terry.

    I have a special devotion to the Mexican saints of the Cristero War, particularly Blessed Miguel Pro. I hope I can be as brave and faithful as they if I am ever attacked for my Faith.

    I think Mr. H's idea is very good. I would love to see your representation of His Holiness Pope Benedict - and St. John Paul as well.

    I hope you and all here are having a blessed Christmas, even with the cruel weather and those we miss this year. Much love from Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, every aspect of it. And the symbolism nicely quietly done.

    "The dawn from on high shall break upon us, to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death, and to guide our feet into the way of peace."

    Merry Christmas Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul - so good to hear from you. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. BTW, some of your comments on my blog ended up under spam, and since I hadn't been checking comment moderation, I didn't see them for a long time. I appreciated them!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.