Monday, May 09, 2022

I should write something.


 It's been a longtime that I have written anything here.  I spend too much time on FB only writing little snippets that I usually remove - inappropriate humor, something too revealing, or a political comment people wouldn't like or understand, and so on.  My humor no longer fits in with world events.  I'm preoccupied with the war in Ukraine and that is pretty much the focus of my prayer and spiritual exercises.

The leak concerning Roe v. Wade has overtaken MSM and a lot of social media.  I'm so sick of partisan fear mongering.  No surprise how well the dissimulation by the Trump appointees worked out to reverse Roe.  It hasn't happened yet, but it will.  Didn't people know that?  Isn't that why women wanted the ERA?  Now they will attempt to codify women's reproductive rights.  When it discussed in those terms, as well as the 'right to privacy' concerns for a woman and her doctor to decide, it's a somewhat compelling and reasonable concept.  Until you know and understand what abortion is and does to unborn children.  It's mutilation and murder.

The business of mutilation extends beyond birth of course.  It's big business - one can reconstruct one's body to look like an animal or an extraterrestrial, to change one's gender, to become more beautiful and so on.  It can be used for good and it often is - but there is a dark side.

I used to read a blog by a former Dominican priest who often said, "Women only have the rights men allot them."  

On the other hand, women like Hillary Clinton want to change that.


“There is one lesson from the past, in particular, that we cannot afford to ignore: You cannot make progress on gender equality or broader human development, without safeguarding women’s reproductive health and rights,” Clinton said near the end of a speech marking International Women's Day. “That is a bedrock truth.” - Hilary Clinton, CNN
“Far too many women are denied access to reproductive health care and safe childbirth, and laws don’t count for much if they’re not enforced. Rights have to exist in practice — not just on paper,” Clinton said.
“Laws have to be backed up with resources and political will,” she explained. “And deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed. As I have said and as I believe, the advancement of the full participation of women and girls in every aspect of their societies is the great unfinished business of the 21st century and not just for women but for everyone — and not just in far away countries but right here in the United States.” - Hilary Clinton, The DC


 I think the Dominican was right, to some degree.  After all, it was an all male Supreme Court which ruled in Roe v. Wade.  

5 comments:

  1. While in Grade school, I think Confirmation prep, I recall an odd discussion about tattoos. Can a Catholic get a tattoo? At that time only ex military had tattoos. Well, Sister Electa said no. Tattoos are a mutilation of your body and an offense to God. Last week I saw a post from a Priest showcasing his new tattoo. I give up! I am filling my time with reading, hobbies and family. I just cannot be bothered with people I find tedious and overbearing. I know what I believe and that’s enough for me. In an ironic way as my world gets smaller it also feels freer and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Wallace - same here. Although in Fr. Mike's defense the tattoo he got is a traditional pilgrim to Jerusalem mark. Otherwise, I was told the same, it was a mutilation. I should have included how commonplace it is, along with piercings and scarification. I too know what I believe and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete
  2. Tattoo’s are all the rage today. Personally, I do not have strong objections about them. I just thought this was another example of rationalization to justify one’s behavior because you want it. I imagine the pilgrimage tattoo began with the Crusades and we’re mostly soldiers fighting in war. Not unlike my father’s generation. While not explicitly forbidden it has its roots in pagan ritual, is bodily mutilation, and a vanity project that usually does not stop with one. It reflects poorly on a priest and to publicize it just confirms to me there is nothing spiritual about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had any idea that a pilgrimage tattoo was a thing, I'd have gotten one. Sadly, I read an article shortly after returning home.

    Roe v Wade is bad law. Even RBG thought so. The constitution consists of words to be interpreted their face, there are no emanating or penumbra involved. When Roe is overturned, abortion will be decided by the states. Not being mentioned in the constitution means its reserved for the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rie v Wade is not a law. It is a ruling that strikes down state laws as unconstitutional and therefore invalid. The Founding Fathers foresaw that all rights could not be explicitly listed and therefore included the 9th Amendment which addresses unenumerated rights. In the United States, the Ninth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects against federal infringement of unenumerated rights. The text reads: The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.“ Unenumerated rights include but are not limited to: the right to education & the right to privacy.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.