Saturday, February 12, 2022

Silverstream Revisited



Vindication for the whistleblower.

I became aware of a site claiming that four other 'victims' have come forward to tell their story about the sexual harassments within the fledgling Benedictine priory.  I believe it's a Public Association of the Faithful or a community of diocesan right and not federated with the Benedictine Order.  They follow the Rule of St. Benedict.  Thus far, canonically at least, they are not monks.*  I may be wrong, but the founder, in order to make this foundation was exclaustrated from the monastic order of his profession and made private vows to the bishop of the diocese.

Former supporters of the priory are coming to the defense of whistleblower Dom Benedict Anderson who has lived in exile from his community after his request for a visitation to investigate the religious life of the community, the formation of aspirants to their mode of monastic life, along with the eccentricities of the prior.  Without further comment, I will link to an important post which details some of the misconduct and boundary issues the prior perpetrated upon aspirants to the community, which corelate to the original  harassment claims the whistleblower publicly revealed. Sadly Fr. Benedict is in a sort of limbo, having done nothing wrong, he remains in exile from the priory and apparently is unable to exercise his priestly ministry - a grave injustice.

Be forewarned, the blog post I link to is very disturbing, yet I'm convinced it vindicates Fr. Benedict's original complaint.  Pray for him.

There Are At Least Four More Victims...

I have been given the names and details of four more men who say that Kirby sexually harassed them during their stay at Silvetstream.

I have been refused permission to name them on the Blog for now.

All 4, for different reasons, are afraid of reprisals of various kinds. - Read more here.


I reached out to Fr. Mark to ask if all this was true, reminding him of the cautions  I offered some years ago after he had told me of his plans for a monastic foundation.  He eventually cut off all ties to me, since I even questioned the publishing of his locutions on his blog at the time.  I pray for him that he will not be destroyed by all of this and find peace.  

It is very important however, that Fr. Benedict is vindicated and can continue his ministry.

Very seriously, if one feels called to monastic life, look at the established orders and abbeys.  Stay away from charismatic - be they traditional or progressive communities.  Authentic monastic life is not about novelties or the imitation of an outdated form, enhanced by ancient architectural forms and strict adherence to rubrics and observances.  A tonsure doesn't make one a monk.  Not a few 'new' communities seem to want to emulate the life style of cloistered nuns, which should be the first red flag something is off.

*According to some online commentary they are monks of diocesan right - like I said, I'm not versed in canonical terminology.  According to their Wiki site:  "In February 2017, the community reached a milestone with the formal approval of its constitutions by the Holy See, leading to the canonical establishment of the Benedictine Monks of Perpetual Adoration as a monastic institute of consecrated life in the diocese of Meath."  From NLM: "Bishop Michael Smith signed a Decree on 25 February ‘erecting the Benedictine Monks of Perpetual Adoration of the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar as a monastic Institute of Consecrated Life of diocesan right in the Diocese of Meath’."  Those who have complaints against the priory should contact the local ordinary, Papal Nuncio and perhaps the appropriate Vatican Congregation for Consecrated Life.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know - it's so much more than I imagined.

      Delete
    2. Who is Bishop Buckley?

      Delete
    3. He was ordained a Roman Catholic priest but he is now an 'Independent Irish Catholic' so not a bishop in communion with Rome, with quite a complicated history, but his reporting on Catholic corruption and moral failures is usually accurate and eventually breaking news. He has since aligned himself with Catholic Robert Nugent whose reputation is unsullied and who is a faithful Catholic. He is also very close to Silverstream and insists through Fr. Mark's prayer his daughter was healed - I don't know what the healing consisted of. He is still very much sympathetic towards the priory and would like to see it continue to exist. Buckley seems to have been instrumental in the resignation of a Trappist abbot at Mt. Melleray who was dabbling in a sexcapade or two. It is not edifying reading, esp. the com box is a bit raw, but the Bishop is more discreet, sticking to facts and sometimes calling out the more nasty commenters. His private lifestyle could never be approved by the Church.

      Delete
    4. Okay thanks! So he is a genuine Bishop, just not a Catholic one?

      Delete
    5. Well, the jury is still out on that. He was consecrated by an excommunicated bishop and it might be valid - but not licit. The Conference of Bishops doubts that the consecration is valid. Nevertheless, he identifies as a bishop - Old Catholic bishops do as well.

      Delete
    6. Thanks, Terry, very interesting.

      Delete
  2. How do you know Father Mark? Was he at one time in your Diocese? The SP has posted a vindication message on their web page. They are acting as though the claims are lies or at least unfounded. It is hard to sort through and keep straight which one this is. There are so many now. On another topic. I wonder if Pope Francis will mediate this Russian mess? Go to Moscow perhaps? Now that will get my undivided attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met him while he was in process of forming a community in Newport, RI - he was associated with the Sisters of Jesus Crucified - he was not yet a priest nor a professed religious. I was living as a pilgrim with an obedience to my former novice master at the abbey I was a novice at. For some reason the nascent communities I encountered were enamored with me and seemed to think I had some sort of charism since I had been in a Trappist monastery. I was embarrassed by that and avoided their company. I lost track of him until we re-connected in 2004 or so. He had made quite a name for himself by then, we had several acquaintances and friends in common, similar spiritual aspirations and so on. It was an online reunion, telephone calls and notes. I became a bit suspicious when he began calling and sharing stories similar to what the men he encountered at the priory shared. As he began to realize his 'vocation within a vocation' he grew impatient with my skepticism and questioning his motives - pointing out that his 'new call' was exactly what he was trying to do years ago in Newport. I cautioned him regarding establishing a community since he would be responsible for the souls in his charge and I challenged him on his claims of locutions - esp. publishing them and so on. I offered the example of another monk I knew - naively suggesting he was like him - and if these allegations are true - he is. He was furious with me and cut off communication. I have no idea what he told others about me, but the truth was, he never really knew me, way back when and even when we reconnected. That's something notable - one might say it is the personality of the narcissist or a predator.

      You know if the Pope goes to Russia that is related to a Garabandal prophecy. Wouldn't that be something.

      I should say, or add, Mark isn't evil, I think he is very damaged and most likely delusional - and probably has some pathological issues - he's highly intelligent - perhaps he is an example of the horrible damage childhood sexual abuse does to one.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for explaining. Here are the seeds for that novel. This could make an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.