Sunday, November 21, 2021

New paintings.

S. Martin de Porres
S. John Macias
in the style of Angelico.
T. Nelson
2021


Recent paintings after Fra Angelico.

The reason I began painting icons years ago was because I always want a real icon, or one I had seen in a museum.  So I decided to try and make my own, to copy the masters - which is how I learned to paint.  Icons were religiously fashionable in the early 1970's, considered more theologically correct, not to mention the preferred form of sacred art to the romantic art of the West - especially the Baroque style.  As time went on and the incredible snobbism associated with iconography left me discouraged, I turned my attention to Spanish Colonial and the Italian-Greco style of sacred art, perfected by Giotto and Fra Angelico, as well as the Sienese School - namely Duccio.  Having been self taught in iconography, I graduated to painting in the other styles - by imitating the other techniques.  Now, in my old age, I paint what I want.  Most recently, I've collected very antique frames and filled them with my reproductions, or original works painted in the style of the masters I admire.

S. Martin in Grand Tour Frame 24"x9"

S. Juan Macias in Grand Tour Frame 24"x9"

St. Francis after Angelico

Divine Mercy after Duccio


8 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Terry. You are such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational and uplifting. Especially the Divine Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful! Each one is exquisite. Thank you for sharing. (I'm very fond of St Martin. He has never failed to help me with difficult veterinary problems with my animals. I think he has a special fondness for llamas.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Terry - these are *splendid!* I am especially taken with St. Francis (of course). I would have liked them anyway, but knowing you wrote them, I love them!

    A Byzantine priest (a fellow Third Order Franciscan) with whom I am friends on FB and who is an Isolated Tertiary of our fraternity, recently featured the work of a Belarusian artist who completed some art for his parish church. The artist's page featured a new work - an icon of our good St. John Paul II. I have never seen anything like it, and was very taken with it.

    Keep up the good work, brother! When you do such fine work, I know it is the hand of God guiding yours, and it is good! And He blesses it, and you!

    Susan, TOF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully done dear Terry.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Here's a cute and funny cat video for you to enjoy:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCNRc_5pXQ&ab_channel=KLRProductions

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.