Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Holy See Grants 'Emergency' Conditions to Receive the Plenerary Indulgence Attached to the Divine Mercy Chaplet.



"This great news was announced in an official decree from the Apostolic Penitentiary on March 20, 2020.

"New Plenary Indulgence:  Because of the pandemic, anyone who, with “the will to fulfil the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer according to the Holy Father's intentions), as soon as possible,” recites the Divine Mercy Chaplet with the intention “to implore from Almighty God the end of the epidemic, relief for those who are afflicted and eternal salvation for those whom the Lord has called to Himself,” can receive a plenary indulgence each day." - Read more here.

The Church has the right and the duty to appeal to the God of mercy 'with loud cries' " (Rich in Mercy, 15).

This is very good news. It seems to me if there is any 'bright side' to the pandemic and quarantine, it is the freedom from exacting rules and regulations attached to Catholic worship.


I'm serious. Think about parents with families who scramble to get everyone ready for Mass and just make it on time every Sunday. Or those families who have to drag unbelieving kids to Mass, only to put up with their disgruntled attitude. Think of those people who feel unwelcome at church for whatever reason - maybe they are like the woman at the well, who had been married 5 times? Think of fat people who are embarrassed to go to church, or the poorly dressed and so on. Or those, 'steeped in sin since birth' - now they can assist at Mass and devotions from home, make spiritual communions, without suffering 'ridicule' such as was served to the man born blind in today's Gospel.


Perhaps, since some churches are closed, and Mass is not offered publicly, it is ironically now finally opened to all? A sort of anticipation of Revelation 21 - 'I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God almighty and the Lamb. During the day its gates will never be shut, and there will be no night there.' This interior prayer of recollection unites us to Christ's silent loving action in the Eucharist, to his constant intercession before the Father.


Likewise, the extraordinary efficacy of the DM Chaplet is once again made available to all who simply have the 'intention' of fulfilling the protocol for gaining a plenary indulgence. The Mercy of God is everwhere present in a more profound way than we ever realized before this crisis. 'There is no pit so deep, that is love is deeper still.'

Souls that make an appeal to My mercy delight Me. To such souls I grant even more graces than they ask. I cannot punish even the greatest sinner if he makes an appeal to My compassion (Diary, 1146). Beg for mercy for the whole world (570). No soul that has called upon My mercy has ever been disappointed (1541).

No one who comes to me will I ever reject.

2 comments:

  1. I always wanted to be able to get to Mass every day in the morning but because I am a night owl, it was really hard to get up to make the effort. Now, gracias a Dios, I get up and before 10 am, I can participate in daily Mass. I am happy with this and hope to continue for as long as I can.
    I am also participating in the Holy Hour Mission being offered to us all online with the wonderful Franciscan Friars of the Renewal all the way from Yonkers, New York. Their praise and worship, their sermons are all very uplifting and help me to grow in hope that we will all get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry, simply put, your posts are on my essential reading list now, more than ever. You go zing to the heart of things. Prayers for your caring for your friend during this transformed time. God bless you and give you untroubled sleep each night.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.