Monday, July 01, 2019

Br. Bonaventure of Jesus Crucified, OCD

Br. Bonaventure Potter, OCD
Requiescat In pace


I saw the notice last night on FB from the Washington Province.

Early this morning our dear brother Br. Bonaventure (Potter) of Jesus Crucified, OCD passed away. Brother was 93 years old and made his profession of vows of poverty, chastity and obedience in the Order of Discalced Carmelites on February 28th 1948!

I called him my brother in Carmel.

We met when I was inquiring about entering Carmel while he was at St. Florian's in Milwaukee.  He knew I was also visiting a friend in town who had followed a New Age spiritual group while studing music at the conservatory there.  Brother worried so much about me - he gave me The Secret of the Rosary and much advice, fearing I would follow my friend.

He was dubious about me entering Carmel, then leaving only to enter the Trappists, and finally leaving to try my vocation as a 'pilgrim', he even called my mother from time to time sharing his concern.  He became quite a good friend of mine.  As I said, he was there for me from the early stages of my conversion and through my searching a vocation, and later on as well. He even came to see me when I lived in Boston.

The first or second time I visited St. Florian's, I once saw him praying before the Blessed Sacrament - in tears - weeping and moaning. From the Friar's chapel I noticed him standing in prayer - in the main church below.  He wept and prayed, without any knowledge I observed him.  I was always impressed with that.  He was the Carmelite who told me the community life of the friars was not like the Discalced nuns, and I shouldn't expect it to be.  He also cautioned me never to tell the Fathers that I'd like to live a nun's style of monastic life.  He said the Fathers were suspicious of men whose piety was influenced by that kind of religiosity.

After Boston, I lost touch with him, but I never forgot him.

Oh Br. Bonaventure, pray for us! Pray for me - you know why.

In thanksgiving for the holy vocation and witness of Br. Bonaventure, OCD.

Nearly all my spiritual fathers are dead now - just a couple left.  Hopefully they are closer to me now than when they were alive.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many edifying stories about men and women who have lived their lives behind the monastery walls. I find your friend a fascinating character. I am sure he will continue to look out for you from heaven. I have discovered Brother Cadfael in the Ellis Peters series. This factionalized monk is a kind of medieval Fr Brown, always solving a local murder. Descriptions of characters and medieval monastic life just draws me in.
    May Br. Bonaventure of the Cruicified Jesus rest in eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. H, I love Brother Cadfael as well. Twenty+ years ago, there was a series on PBS (imported from the BBC) which featured Derek Jacobi as Brother Cadfael, and it was very well done. I wish they would run it again (and Jeeves and Wooster!) And yes, Brother Bonaventure (what a lovely Franciscan name for a holy Carmelite!) rest in peace and pray for us! God bless and protect you, Mr. H and Terry, and all here.

      Delete
  3. Susan, I am reading the series now to great delight. I also found the series you mention available on Prime video. I watched two after reading the books involved. Double delight! Thanks for all, especially prayers. Be assured of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.