Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Clericalism and the Servant of the Servants of God.



This isn't the first time I've been disappointed in a Pope.  

I suppose it is no big deal that the Pope pulled his hand away from laity who sought to venerate the office of the papacy by kissing the 'Fisherman's' ring.  It seemed rude to me, and so I had trouble believing it.  While it is true there may be a good reason, sore hand, fatigue, a signal to discourage clericalism, it just seems to me another option would have been more kind, more respectful to those who were simply following pious tradition.  In the old days, instructions were given to those who would be able to approach the Pope and greet him in audience.  I remember S. Therese and fellow pilgrims were forbidden to speak to the Pope unless he spoke first.  

Kiss cam.


Now we know what not to do.

I guess Popes can be rude, and of course we know even saints can be.  Padre Pio dismissed people for various reasons, his wounds hurt, and sometimes he was gruff with devout women, and people who concealed their sins.

Ratzinger slapped Brian Ross' hand when he tried to get him to comment on Fr. Marcial Maciel Degollado. JPII used to look down the reception line instead of having eye contact with those greeting him - this according to Harry Flynn, something noticeable in photos as well. So men will always disappoint us when we encounter their human foibles. 

I have to say, this incident showing Pope Francis rebuffing the pilgrims to the Holy House helps me become more detached from the person of the Pope without diminishing my respect for the Papacy.  P. Francis has made it clear to me that he abhors any sign of clericalism. So I will let it go.

Perhaps it would be more humble for the Servus servorum Dei to kiss the hands of the laity instead?  What?

Ratzinger slaps the hand of Brian Ross.

10 comments:

  1. I don't approve of ring kissing. I know that it's the office that is being honored, but there are other ways of honoring it that don't hark back to the days of supreme monarchies. I don't agree with most of what Pope Francis says and does (and probably thinks, if I knew what he was thinking), but I believe he is right to discourage the practice. It would be a first step to discouraging clericalism. It sets an example for cardinals and bishops. They are not supposed to be princes but servants. However, thanks, Terry, but no thanks on having my hand kissed by prelates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I don't want them kissing my hand either, and I agree, I'm not fond of kissing rings. In this case, I found the way he did it disturbing, but just don't know the whole story. I have to admit it snapped me out of any semblance of papalotry, as they say. It's all good.

      Delete
    2. By refusing to let people kiss his ring he is giving in to clericalism - the thing he supposedly hates. See my comment below for an expanded explanation.

      Delete
  2. As you stated this all harkens back to the monarchical trappings of the Papacy. He could have given word to his assistants that the pilgrims should not do it. They want to show respect and affection so something should be done in its place. I do not have a problem myself with it. Rather quaint and historical. Britain keeps all these old traditions alive both for respect but also for tourists. If the Pope becomes just another politician or businessman I think the pilgrims and tourists will stay away. As for the Pope being rude or having a temper, I have long thought he can be and probably has a pretty good one. JPII was reported to be sharp with his Swiss Guards. We will never see a tell all book from behind the scenes. The help there are loyal and I doubt they ever even signed an NDA. I still like Francis and think he is in an impossible position. God bless him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that Pope Francis's assistants should have told the pilgrims of his preference that they not kiss the ring. Usually, there is a protocol person around to take care of such things. After all, the visitors were probably just trying to do the "right thing," and that's what they'd heard one days when encountering the Pope.

      Delete
  3. It seems to me that when Francis so rudely and violently (he could have chipped a tooth with the kind of force he was using!) refused to let people kiss the Ring of the Fisherman he was actually giving in to clericalism in two ways. First, he is assuming that kissing the Ring of the Fisherman is about an individual person. The fact is, the kissing of the ring has nothing to with Jorge Bergoglio, or Pope Francis, or any bishop. It has to do with something that transcends the person wearing the ring. It has to with the office the person holds - which is what the ring symbolizes, which is the office of priest, which is the priesthood of CHRIST! The kissing of the ring is about venerating JESUS. So, when Francis makes it about HIMSELF and about HIS HUMILITY, he is falling into a clericalism that assumes people are kissing HIS ring. That sort of focus on himself is clericalism. It's also clericalism, because as a CRUX article related today (in an attempt to defend the Popes childish and clericalist actions) said that at the Wednesday Audience today he let some nuns, priests, and bishops kiss his ring. What that says to me is that he's ok with nuns, priests and bishops kissing his ring, but not those filthy laypeople! Clericalism. Plain and simple. Francis is the King of Clericalism. Like all liberals, they project all their own problems on those around him. Every time he points to someone and cries "clericalism!" he is condemning himself...you know...the whole take the plank out of your own eye first thing...

    We should also not impose our American way of thinking upon other cultures. In most parts of the world the kissing of rings, hands, icons, crosses, statues, rosaries, etc. is ingrained in the culture. Just because it's opposed to "American" sensibilities doesn't mean it should be condemned. The Church is bigger than one country and one culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The real clericalists have done a great job of creating this bogeyman that those who honour pious traditions, wear nice vestments, are faithful to the liturgy and firm on church teaching etc are the ones suffering from clericalism.

    Forgetting the false humilty etc that Aloysius points out well, it's just sociopathic behaviour. Disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe if the Pope kept his his arms crossed and carried a purse like the Queen of England he wouldn't have to slap people away like flies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watch the whole incident on video. The Pope did not seem to strongly object to the baciamano until people started to genuflect towards him.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.