Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Christmas break.



Seems as if I've been on a break for quite sometime.

It's because I've lost interest in much of what I used to write about, and more so, what others write about.  It seems to me that we only have problems if we allow ourselves to have problems.  The things we worry about and endlessly discuss - especially those things out of our control - will all be solved one way or another.

Sister Wendy died today.  She was a hermit, art historian-critic, and a spiritual writer I admired very much.  She lived in a small, unheated caravan-trailer on the property of a Carmelite monastery.  She slept on the floor.  Not a worry in the world.

Everything gets resolved you know.

I didn't follow Christmas at the Vatican nor on media.  I went to a quiet Mass in a church old people frequent.  Very quiet, very hidden. 

Lovely peace, and simple joy.

I had a fire outside and lighted candles, decorated Our Lady's shrine in lights and fresh Babies Breath, fed the critters apples, nuts, and seeds, and prayed my rosary.  My cat remaining indoors but watch through the window.  It seemed to me very Tuscan, very Franciscan.

Merry Christmas ... make it last - we have 12 days of it!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Sister Wendy's PBS Art History show. I could be wrong, but I think she was an Anglican nun. May she Rest In Peace. Your Christmas celebration sounds very Trappist to me. Yes, most people forget that Christmas is more then one day, but 12 in all. I have put a small Nativity set in one of my tress in the yard. Reminds me of a country shrine somewhere in Europe. I enjoy until New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - she is indeed Roman Catholic. Started out as a SSND and became a hermit living on the property of a Carmelite monastery in the UK. Magnificat frequently publishes her writings for the meditation of the day. Merry Christmas my friend!

      Delete
  2. https://www.newscabal.co.uk/sister-wendy-beckett-obituary/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given up on most “Catholic” websites and blogs. I am tired of the self righteousness and hatred on these sites. I reading the Breviary, the Bible and the saints. I go to daily Mass with mostly poor but humble Latinos who love our Lord. They don’t condemn me and call me a heretic because I support Pope Francis.

    If what I have seen on the Internet was truly representative of the Catholic Church, I would join the Buddhists.

    Leave the haters to the haters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We skipped the 'tourist' Mass on Christmas Eve at 7 pm and are too tired to make it to Midnight Mass so we went Christmas Day instead. Then home to a simple dinner of baked turkey and boiled veg. I was blessed to be asked to read on St. Stephen's day - the first reading was so inspiring! Remembered to pray my rosary Christmas Eve but between cooking and family phone calls it didn't happen on Christmas Day. Will try again later. Wishing everyone who reads this a happy and holy Christmas and blessed 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Terry, and a Happy New Year! When are you coming to Detroit? We can go pray at blessed Solanus Casey's tomb together!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.