Thursday, December 27, 2018

The 3rd Day of Christmas ... Catholics love to drink edition.


Happy St. John's Day!

"Saint John the Evangelist is blessing the poisoned chalice given him by a pagan priest of Ephesus to test him, but the poison escapes from the chalice in the form of a small two-headed dragon, as Jacobus de Voragine recounts in his Golden Legend (1228-1298)... Saint John the Evangelist is depicted holding a chalice, an allusion to his being put to the test by the high priest of the Temple of Diana at Ephesus. The high priest said to him: "If you want me to believe in your god, I will give you some poison to drink and, if it does not harm you, it means that your god is the true God." Thus the picure shows Saint John making the gesture of blessing which was to neutralize the poison escaping from the chalice in the form of a small two-headed dragon. He was then able to drink the potion, according to the legend."

Works for me.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm...that gif looks familiar...I think I might use it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Terry in the past 50 years I have never seen a dry rectory. In high school I remember sitting in geometry class with Father Ignatius and watching the weekly beer truck most it's delivery to the friary while that same year in religion class Fr Leon warned us 15 year old that alcohol would kill brain cells! It didn't scare us much though because we had our own sources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full marks, Terry, for the pic of the "drunk" female character in the Garbo movie, Anna Christie. I have almost forgotten her face and acting. This was a resurrection of sorts for me, after quite a few decades. Clever.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.