Friday, December 07, 2018

60th anniversary remembrance of Chicago's Our Lady of the Angels fire - 95 dead...



This story traumatized me when I was little.

I distinctly remember this terrible tragedy. It left a deep impression on me - I was definitely traumatized by it. Some of the nuns had the kids cling to their habits as they rolled down the stairs to rescue them. Another classroom was found, all the kids dead, but seated in an attitude of prayer, and the sister at her desk in the same position. It still gives me chills. It was heartbreaking.

The Badger Catholic: 60th anniversary remembrance of Chicago's Our Lady...: source The gathering Sunday was one of many planned to commemorate the devastating fire, one of Chicago’s worst tragedies. - Finish reading here.



9 comments:

  1. I had never heard of it before I ran across the story. What an incredible tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unbelievable. There are photos of parents trying to break through to enter the school to rescue their kids. I remember my mother crying as if it was our family. I went to Catholic school at the time.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand why they were sitting at their desks - why didn't they try to get out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evidently smoke filled the halls and they were trapped and I believe on the highest floor. So they prayed.

      Delete
    2. May they rest in peace.

      Delete
  3. Because of this, a lot of fire laws--no live Christmas trees in schools, for example--were enacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Also fire codes were changed requiring doors open out into the hall instead of inward.

      Delete
  4. How horrible bit how wonderful that the class died praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this too. In my parish meeting were held with school parents, the third floor of the old school was closed for use due to safety concerns.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.