Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Call me by your name ... do you know your angel's name?



The Holy Father asked if we know our angel's name.

I always thought we were discouraged to ask his name, although some saints named their angel, or believed they knew his name.  I like calling him, my angel.  I suppose he could tell me his name, or ask me to call him by whatever name I was inspired to do so - my name for him.  But I wouldn't be sure my name would suit him.  Although I'm not inclined to worry about it.

St. Mary of Jesus Crucified called her angel George.  I think she saw him, and she was once nursed to health by a woman one might think was Our Lady.  I'm not sure she ever confirmed the woman's identity.

I think I experienced similar things, and I'm sure it was my angel.  The mysterious nun I encountered in St. Peter's so many years ago, and the mysterious young man who accompanied me from Avila to Bayonne on my way back to Lourdes.  Then of course I've had little miracles saving me from minor and serious accidents. I always thank my angel for that.

Incidentally, the angels I encountered were never expected and neither were they the type of person I would imagine or be attracted to.  Many people like their angels to look like an ideal person, an attractive romantic type.  That's not what I experienced.

Anyway, whether we see him or not, we have at least one Guardian Angel who is always with us and who always sees God - face to face.  (I did that last evening when I was able to kneel really close to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.)  We don't really know what that means because I think we would die of love if we could see our angel as he is - or see God face to face in this life.

About the name thing.  When Jacob wrestled with the Angel, he asked his name - after the Angel gave him the name Israel: Jacob then asked him, “Please tell me your name.” He answered, “Why do you ask for my name?” With that, he blessed him.  Jacob named the place Peniel, “because I have seen God face to face,” he said, “yet my life has been spared." - Genesis 32

Peniel literally means, "face of God".  What wonderful mystery is revealed in that.  Why do we need to ask our angel his name?

Thank you my Angel.




6 comments:

  1. I love angelic feast days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in Angels and that they look out for us. I too have experiences that I attribute to angelic intervention. I never have thought of naming him. It seems unnecessary. Actually it seems wrong to me. I have heard some new age psychics who have elaborate names for angels, sometimes referred to as "spirit guides." It has always struck me as creepy, possibly demonic. I will settle for my angel knowing my name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our new pastor (only 34 years old!) told us at Mass yesterday that his parents placed him under the protection of the holy angels while he was still in the womb, and that he has *always* felt very close to his guardian angel.

    Terry, my understanding is the same as yours, that we are not to name our angels - that is for God to decide. But they certainly know when we are talking to them and asking for their protection, whether we call them by name or not!

    God bless us all, and may our angels closely guard us against attack always!
    Susan, OFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Article 217 of the "Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy" states:

    Popular devotion to the Holy Angels, which is legitimate and good, can, however, also give rise to possible deviations:... The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture.

    Link: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20020513_vers-direttorio_en.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have a strong feeling this is correct. Not sure why, but I think it could lead to some bad results.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:39 PM

    https://zenit.org/articles/assigning-names-to-angels/

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.