Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The business of slander and revenge.



One more thing on the gay-ssa-Catholic problem.

I noted Church Militant seems to have ramped up their attack on U.S. Bishops and priests insisting they are promoters of the gay/homosexualist agenda.  Many Catholics like to identify this person or that as a homosexualist.  Recently I commented that some of those who seem to accept a lot of the gay-Catholic thinking 'mystify' me.  To be sure, I don't always get it when it comes to ministry to LGBTQ persons and or groups in parishes.  But it doesn't mean I am free to accuse and slander those who minister to these groups.  I just want that to be clear.  I can't control what happens nor can I account for how priests and bishops evangelize and direct an apostolate.

My sense is that there is a sort of vendetta against priests and bishops who seem to be more sympathetic to LGBTQ concerns.  Every now and then, I like to do a post as I did yesterday, on how pervasive 'queer ideology' has become in culture, saturating film and television and pop culture.  It is what it is, right?  Therefore, is it any wonder priests and religious are looking for ways to evangelize this group of people whom God loves?

I have always said, Courage Apostolate is not for everyone.  In my opinion, it is the best and the only apostolate approved by the Catholic Church, but not everyone is interested in a sort of self-help-religious-style-confraternity, if you will.  Especially since the organization has been associated with conversion therapy, or becoming an ex-gay.  True, that is not the founding premise, but it is often discussed and it freaks some people out.  Likewise, having a life-long recovery group to be part of isn't appealing to an otherwise well-balanced, stable person who simply identifies as gay or ssa.  There are healthy, mentally stable, deeply moral people who have homosexual inclination who have successfully integrated their sexuality and found a greater purpose in life, who also have a deep spiritual life and are faithful Catholics.  Whew!  That's a long sentence!

Anyway - if and when a Catholic organization shames and slanders a priest or a bishop as a homo-heretic, stay away from that organization.  Don't engage them, don't support them.  I recently just explained why I feel this way to a friend, telling him: "The revenge business and smearing the reputations of bishops and priests always plays into the hands of the enemies of the Church."  They are doing the devil's work.  I think the devil loves it when they can be so smug about exposing lies and falsehoods for a business.  I know that because I once or twice jumped on that band-wagon, and I found that out the hard way - how self-righteous anger and zeal masquerades as virtue.  Don't get sucked into Savonarola-style fanaticism.

Just saying.


6 comments:

  1. "...self-righteous anger and zeal masquerades as virtue." Indeed. Good self-knowledge. Been there/done that. I think the most zealous-for-virtue persons who are angry are telling on themselves. Like ex-smokers, they are merciless on folks who are still smoking. Or ex-fatties ... I know some folks who used to be fat, on a crusade of belittling their obese co-workers and friends. "Drop that donut!" The flaws (read: sins) we hate the most in ourselves we tend to see most in others around us, and so call them out instead of reforming our own lives (or if we have reformed our own lives, call out from a place of fear perhaps, that we might backslide?) I don't know. All I know is what I know from experience. And I'm always amazed at what I don't know, *after* something has been brought to my attention (usually after sliding downhill).

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/pope-francis-says-gay-couples-cannot-be-considered-families-15506417

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the Pope IS Catholic. No surprise there.

      Delete
    2. I suppose the next thing you're going to tell us is that a bear does his business in the woods!

      What?

      Delete
    3. They've been seen doing it in back yards in the north metro. Haha! Bad bears!

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.