Tuesday, February 06, 2018

This gives me hope ...



The 2018 Lenten Message of His Holiness Pope Francis

“Because of the increase of iniquity, the love of many will grow cold.” (Mt 24:12)

Amid so many rumors and gossip and news reports concerning the Pope, the Vatican and Cardinals, I welcome the Holy Father's Lenten Message.  It gives me hope.  Therein - it seems to me - is the convincing power of the Holy Spirit.

“Because of the increase of iniquity, the love of many will grow cold.” (Mt 24:12)

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Once again, the Pasch of the Lord draws near! In our preparation for Easter, God in his providence offers us each year the season of Lent as a “sacramental sign of our conversion”.[1] Lent summons us, and enables us, to come back to the Lord wholeheartedly and in every aspect of our life.

With this message, I would like again this year to help the entire Church experience this time of grace anew, with joy and in truth. I will take my cue from the words of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew: “Because of the increase of iniquity, the love of many will grow cold” (24:12).

These words appear in Christ’s preaching about the end of time. They were spoken in Jerusalem, on the Mount of Olives, where the Lord’s passion would begin. In reply to a question of the disciples, Jesus foretells a great tribulation and describes a situation in which the community of believers might well find itself: amid great trials, false prophets would lead people astray and the love that is the core of the Gospel would grow cold in the hearts of many. - Finish reading here.

It seems to me the Holy Father's Lenten message is prophetic. 

It is now important for me to avoid giving too much credence to the controversial news reports and editorials on this or that scandal concerning the Church and the episcopacy, and rather to re-focus upon the one thing necessary. 

Today's responsorial psalm ends with one of my favorite verses, which I often repeat in my prayer:

I had rather one day within your courts
than a thousand elsewhere;
I had rather lie (abject) at the threshold of the house of my God
than dwell in the tents of the wicked. - Ps. 84

S. Roch, pray for us.

"Listening to sermons failed to give me what I wanted, and having had my fill of
them without gaining understanding, I gave up going to hear public sermons. I settled
on another plan—by God's help to look for that teaching about unceasing prayer which drew me so urgently. For a long time I wandered through many places. I read my Bible always, and everywhere I asked whether there was not in the neighborhood a spiritual teacher, a devout and experienced guide, to be found." 
- The Pilgrim continues his way.


3 comments:

  1. Amen Terry, amen. This morning, while skimming over the news headlines, I wondered if there a safe refuge, a quiet place to go to ... there is. In my mind, I have pictured myself once again in the quiet and holy silence of an afternoon sitting, praying, keeping our Lord Jesus company in an empty church.

    I'm going to pray that is where I can be more often from now on.

    Have a holy and fruitful Lent dear Terry! Same for all of your blog readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reflection by the Holy Father.

    I'm especially struck by the fact that he mentioned fasting. How many senior clergy actually bother to talk about acts of penance these days? =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why Frank is so confusing! One moment he's a raging heretic, the next moment he's pious and prophetic. Which one is the real Francis??????

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.