Monday, October 30, 2017

Online petition to remove Bishop Morlino.

Botero


I'm against it.
Madison (WKOW) -- There's an online petition being circulated to remove the Bishop of the Diocese of Madison.

Bishop Robert Morlino is being criticized for his attitude about the LGTBQ community. Earlier this week, an email was sent to priests in the diocese saying that they could deny funeral rights for those in same-sex partnerships.

The diocese released a statement that said the communication is not official policy, but does meet the approval of Bishop Morlino.

The petition was posted on change.org Thursday and has thousands of signatures. - Read more here.
It turns out it isn't even official policy.  

So why was the email sent out and why did it go viral?  Why did I waste my time commenting on it? (I know - why do I do that stuff?)  Why did some people leave the Church over a non-binding policy communicated by the Vicar General to parish priests in an email - not even an official communication?  Why start this kind of trouble in the first place?  Are there a lot of gay spouses looking for church funerals in Madison?
The communication, which took the form of a weekly e-mail to priests from the Vicar General of the diocese, was a result of pastoral questions asked by the priests themselves, and was to serve as a tool to provide some framework and considerations, in this confidential setting. Without a policy, and as the communication itself states, the priests are asked to “think through the issue thoroughly and prudently,” and this was a response to those who asked for assistance in their task – as well as other priests who might have similar situations and questions. - Brent M. King, Director of Communications for the Diocese of Madison
Nothing better to do I guess.  Or maybe they felt they needed to issue a call to arms against hysterical homosexualists and their abettors clamoring for EF Requiems?  According to Fr. Z there is a Judas in the diocese ... maybe that's why?   Sounds like there is an informant in the diocese as well.  That's too bad.  I didn't realize that was part of 'say the black, do the red'.  Just kidding.

Oh well, let the dead bury the dead.  It's none of my business.

What?

10 comments:

  1. Terry, I once got very good advice from my former pastor during Confession. I, once again, confessed that I opened my big mouth and put in my two cents and caused offense. He laughed, and told me if I have something to say, to go ahead and say it, *with charity*. And he pointed out that St. Peter and St. Paul (my birthday saints, and the patrons of your Archdiocese, if I am not mistaken) were always putting their foot in it and getting everyone in an uproar by the things they said and they way they said them. And yet, God found something in them to use them as soldiers for His kingdome and made them into great saints!

    I agree with your thoughts on Bishop Morlino and the reasons for them. And I think you almost always write your thoughts with charity and humility. As a Franciscan, I think my good St. Francis would be pleased with you.

    God's blessings and protection to you and all here - Susan, ofs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. Great advice from your confessor. This situation I'm commenting on has a life of its own now and as it turns out - as far as I'm concerned - it's much ado about nothing. Just having fun now with this particular post. I have to learn not to respond to every issue which comes down the pike, esp. as it involves gay politics.

      Delete
  2. Hum ... all of this has me wondering what's in store come the future for those of us who profess the Catholic faith. Remember what the Lord said?

    "A house divided against itself cannot stand" or "They will be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against mother; mother-in-law against daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

    It seems those who strive to proclaim the truth of the Faith are afforded the luxury of being protested against either by protesting folks going online, in public, by email, by mail, by a phone call or by merely banging on the rectory door. The "white glove treatment" will only last so long then ...

    Eventually, I am of the opinion that Catholics will no longer be tolerated anywhere but will be simply be shut down/silenced with the same tactics used by oppressive, totalitarian governments such the likes of Communist China, Russia, North Korea all in the name of "free speech." "Mine but not yours."

    May Bishop Morlino stand his ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.
      And so true: all in the name of free speech - mine but not yours.

      Delete
    2. I think it's evident that neither the Diocese, the Bishop, or the Vicar General did anything wrong. The timing and format may have been off - but it was certainly all kosher, so to speak. People grabbed it to make it into an anti-gay thing. The fellow I mentioned as leaving the Church kind of does this whenever he gets pissed about something like this, so I probably was overly concerned by that myself. It's all part of the spiritual combat or struggle for those who dislike military metaphors. This stuff gets magnified on social media - my commentary doesn't help.

      Morlino will be fine - as Trump might say, "He knew what he was in for when he signed up."

      Delete
    3. Sure thing but this is the oppression "being nice" for now regardless of whether or not the facts are in fact facts. 😑

      Delete
  3. You just watch...Francis will find a reason to get rid of him like he has done to other orthodox bishops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just watch ... Papa Francis will prove you wrong as he has no reason whatsoever to toss the good Bishop aside PERIOD.

      In fact, Terry has already stated this was merely a clarification of what the Church already teaches with regards to Catholic burials and not an official statement from the bishop himself. Go read it for yourself so that none of us are accused of speculation or assuming we read the mind of our Holy Father like others seem to be able to do.

      Delete
    2. Well, don't go by me, but I doubt the Pope would do that. There's no case here.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.