Thursday, September 28, 2017

Seventh Day of the Novena: The Hidden Face ...

"I am resigned to being always imperfect, and I even find happiness in it.  
I keep an eye on myself to see if I can discover any new imperfections." *
- Therese to Mother Agnes of Jesus


Who is St. Therese?

Many years ago a Carmelite told me that The Hidden Face by Ida Gorres was not especially representative of the life of St. Therese because it was more a psychoanalytical biography and somehow missed the authentic spirituality of Little Therese.  I believed what I was told, in spite of myself - liking very much the insights Gorres provided into the personality of Therese.  Over the years I disagreed with my Carmelite critic, and consider the book a valuable resource for getting to know Therese.

Although I have to say I think St. Therese, always the novice master, helps little souls understand her doctrine quite well all on her own.  One doesn't have to make a study of her, because little ones are immediately attracted to her little way - often just by looking at a photo or statue of the saint.  We come to understand her 'doctrine' best in and through our clumsy falls and pretentious play-acting that we are adults, wise enough to know all spiritual mysteries.  Like little kids when they pretend or play act.  It is precisely in our weakness, our failures, our insignificance wherein we grasp the meaning of the doctrine of St. Therese, her little way of confidence and love.

At least that's what I think.  

You don't have to be good for St. Therese to help you, or even be conscious of her at a given moment, or making a novena of elaborate prayers and meditations for her to do something to show her patronage.  Though it is very good to make a proper novena, Therese sometimes just shows up - with a little sign of her love, and God's great love for you.  You may still be caught in your sins, or not believe in this or that, or just think you know everything and are just fine - then she will show up with rose petals or some other thing to cause you to recognize her presence and that God is there - that he's been there all the time - and so has she.  Therese has done that for me, so that's how I know she does it for others.  I'm convinced she still does it. 

I used to think looking for signs like roses and stuff like that was not good - or at least a huge imperfection.  St. Therese changed my mind on that, as did her little Pope Francis, who, just like us often hopes to receive an assurance from her when he asks for something special.  That's what I meant by little kids pretending to be grown up - I pretended that I didn't need expressions of love and friendship - but I do.  St. Therese helped me understand that.

Making a novena isn't the only time she's listening or praying for us.  She's always doing that - she's always aware of us and our needs.  So let us thank her for that.  Thanks St. Therese.

O Lord, Who has said: Unless you become as little children you shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven; grant us, we beseech Thee, so to follow in humility and simplicity of heart the footsteps of St. Therese, the virgin, that we may obtain everlasting rewards. Who lives and reigns forever. Amen.

*St. Therese actually asked to be placed near Celine for this photo, since they were rarely in photos together.  It almost seems like an imperfection to some degree, since she never did her own will, and never ask for special treatment.  No wonder she rejoiced! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Santa Teresita,
    Today I ask you to intercede for the people of Mexico, Puerto Rico, all the Caribbean islands that have suffered from the hurricanes. Please ask our Lord Jesus Christ to send his angels to protect the people especially the most vulnerable. To remind the strong that He alone is Lord, to speak a word to those who seek to do harm so that they might fear losing themselves over to the evil one.
    May our Lady's mantle cover the entire regions with her love and consolation and protection.
    Gracias Santa Teresita!

    Terry,
    I was so upset last night and found it difficult to sleep after I read this bit of sad news. Every Time I woke up, I remembered and I prayed for the innocent to be delivered from such cruelty.

    "Volunteers attacked delivering quake aid in southern Mexico"

    https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2017/09/28/volunteers-attacked-delivering-quake-aid-southern-mexico/

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.