Tuesday, July 21, 2015

For those poor souls who are exhausted trying to explain Pope Francis: A great interview with Gänswein may lift that burden from your shoulders.



The Secretary to two living Popes - Archbishop Georg Gänswein...


In the latest interview, Gänswein seems neither disgruntled or exhausted, much less exasperated.  He's probably closer to these two men than anyone... and he appears to be fine.  I wonder why people completely out of the loop as regards the papacy and life at Santa Marta, are exhausted trying to parse and explain everything that Francis says?

Zenit has the interview - if you're worried about the state of the papal state - maybe read the entire interview.  Monsignor Gänswein is always honest, frank, balanced and faithful.  (I wonder what he'd say about ... never mind.)  I lifted the following quote, which might be reassuring to the critics:
Observing Pope Francis’ Pontificate, one can perceive how the image of the Church has changed for the better. -GG
Gänswein also insists Pope Benedict didn't 'flee the wolves' so obviously I have to let go of that impression.  I'm happy to do that.
That there were individual persons, or even currents against Benedict, was irrelevant in regard to the renunciation. It’s obvious that a person like him had reflected long on a question of such importance. He didn’t allow himself to be intimidated by anyone. He was very clear in his conversation with Peter Seewald, several years before the renunciation: “When there are wolves, when there is danger, the shepherd must not leave his flock.” He didn’t do so then, and he has never done so; his was not a flight. This is the truth and it is the only explanation of the reason for his renunciation. - GG
One of the final questions in the interview reveals the great humility and spirit of obedience which seems to characterize the priestly vocation of Monsignor Gänswein:
Q: The Pope’s day is intense, and I conclude that yours is also: you don’t have time to play tennis, as you certainly would like, or to dedicate yourself to university activity. Would you perhaps have desired another life?
Archbishop Gänswein: I’ve never asked myself this question, because I’ve never said “ I want to do this, or that ...” When a post has come to me, I’ve accepted it. Pope Benedict asked me something, and so I accepted it and did it gladly. The same is true for Pope Francis. - Zenit

Read the entire interview - it's good. 

9 comments:

  1. "(I wonder what he'd say about ... never mind.)"

    Made me chuckle to read that...thought about you too when I read what Deacon Greg had to say.

    The Lord our God truly is looking out for his little ones. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does look out for us - Today's Gospel is a good reminder - those closest to our Lord - his mother and brothers wanted to talk with him - perhaps they had concerns about something - yet he reassured them pointing out what is important - doing the will of God - and we know Our Lady did that perfectly - so rather than be insulted that he didn't speak to her right then and there - they were assured that everything was fine.

      Know what I mean? People shouldn't feel left out - Christ is with us.

      Delete
  2. Did you hear the news about Fr. Barron ?!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I'm excited and happy for him and the Church in LA. Other people seem worried about the vacancy at Mundelein but 'Christ is with us'.

      I bet Brandon Vogt and Mark Shea will be put in charge of the Catholic Blogosphere now. Just kidding - I know they are all friends.


      Delete
    2. I am so happy and grateful to our Lord Jesus for such a great gift to my hometown! I have always found comfort and affirmation in the faith when listening or watching Father Barron speak.

      I truly look forward to all three Bishop-elects in helping us Angelinos walk along with Archbishop Gomez, to a more vibrant faith, increased hope in Christ and a love of neighbor.

      Delete
  3. Now it's Ganswein's job to explain Pope Francis? Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is the interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quotes in the post but also link to Zenit after the last quote.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.