Friday, January 25, 2013

Once I called someone an idiot, and everyone thought it was directed at them..



Blogs are like that.

I'll write about 'a priest' and every priest who has ever commented here, or may have met me, thinks I might be talking about him, or Fr. Z.  I say something about someone on medication and everybody thinks I'm talking about them.  BTW, that's supposed to be funny.

Seriously.  In the com box of another blog I referred to a sector of apologists as idiots and someone asked, 'which idiots?'   As such, idiot is an idiom, a pejorative term many of us use for those who hold opinions which contradict our own - or which go against common sense or traditional teaching.  It's an insult.

The Gospel tells us: "...but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

That's a pretty stiff sentence.

Go to confession.

Elsewhere, I encountered someone writing in defense of his more critical blog posts.  It was a sort of response to a reader who suggested that the blog author go to confession.  I'm not sure if the author dismissed the admonition, or just the tone in which it was said, but he appeared not to take it seriously.

I on the other hand try to take such things to heart.  I think God  speaks to our conscience through other bloggers and commenters.  If someone tells me to go to confession - I am grateful for his kindness.

Please pray for me that I can get to confession - soon.  And thank you for reminding me to do so.

"Even among the sincere there is often such arrogance, such a desire to play a role, to be the leader, a subtle form of pride among the refined." - Elizabeth Leseur


 

2 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I thought the punchline to this was going to be that the idiot you were referring to was actually yourself. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should have been!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.