"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Things I'm thinking about doing, and other stuff.



I finally finished my Cat portrait - I thought it was finished when I posted it, but viewing the image online allows me to see the work differently - and discover my faults - sort of like blogging.  I'll have to re-shoot the panel - although most viewers will not notice the difference.  I detailed the cat's expression a little more carefully.  I think he looks a lot more like me now.
.
I have a couple more projects in mind.  I came across this incredible photo of a young Spanish boy - about 6 or 7 years old.  The expression on his face reminded me of an image of a Sacred Heart of Jesus painting I like very much.  I'm thinking of painting the kid as the boy Jesus offering his Sacred Heart to the viewer.  I wonder about it however since the Child Jesus is always shown more Northern European, with blond, curly hair.  This Spanish kid has intense dark eyes and dark, straight hair.
.
The other project would be a painting of St Gabriel of O.L. of Sorrows.  I wanted to paint him as a well known priest, but I can't find a photo of the priest with his mouth shut.  I know what you are thinking, if I paint the saint as a living priest, I can't say it is Gabriel Possenti....  So anyway - instead of painting the saint holding the crucifix, I am thinking of painting him holding an automatic weapon, since Gabriel is the patron saint of guns.  Quirky, huh?
.
Last but not least, I want to paint a serious icon of Our Lady of the Burning Bush/Sinai - holding the ladder of monks.  I want to paint it in the Russian style. 
.
We'll see.
.
I have adoration today.  I'm very sad over a story of a young man who killed himself.  Last Wednesday I was so sad over Fr. Euteneuer.  

7 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I thought I got it last time, but that was only half of it. I get it more now.

    When was the last time I was properly sad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    PS--You know I love you, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he looks a lot more like me now.

    You can haz whiskers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should really do a classical, Russian Sophia icon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it wrong that I got a laugh over the idea of a priest who can't keep his mouth shut?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henry - I haven't felt attracted to that image yet.

    Nan - I was hoping some one would.

    Larry - no - I don't.

    E - I know you do and I you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I know what you meant about the young man.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.