Monday, April 05, 2010

Cardinal Sodano's pep talk: Yeah, I thought it was weird too.


Defending the Pope 'to his face'.
.
Cardinal Sodano addressed the Holy Father at the beginning of Mass yesterday...
.
It was not clear whether this greeting was actually part of the liturgy, as it seemed, coming after the entrance hymn, or was simply a preface to the liturgy, like an announcement at the beginning of Mass -- though such an announcement still ought to come before the entrance hymn.
.
If news is something that happens that is "new," this was news.
.
And when this cardinal (Sodano) rose to his feet and took the microphone to speak, every newsman within hearing pricked up his ears, thinking, "This is something new."
.
What did Sodano say?
.
Essentially, that Catholics around the world love and support Pope Benedict XVI, and will continue to do so no matter how fiercely he his attacked by the media.
.
Sodano, clearly referring to recent attacks on the Pope from the New York Times and other media outlets which allege that he did not do enough during his many years as an administrator in the Church to halt and punish priests accused of sexually abusing children, said the "people of God" would not be influenced by "petty gossip." - Inside the Vatican
.
Evidently, such a gesture is unprecedented - Moynihan says even the Pope looked surprised.  I watched it on the news and I think it was inappropriate and unnecessary to interrupt the Mass for such a display for the person of the Holy Father.
.
Don't get me wrong - I love the Pope, particularly this Pope - I pray for him and support him as best I can.  That said, I love the Papacy more, if you will.  Which means, when a Pope dies, I know another will be elected.  The Pope is Peter, he is Christ's Vicar on earth.  I wonder how much Catholics really appreciate that however?  With John Paul II we oftentimes witnessed over the top displays of affection and adulation by the crowds.  Sometimes his 'fans'  seemed to be more animated by the cult of personality which developed around him, rather than devotion for the Vicar of Christ.  I too loved John Paul II, but I wasn't so sad when he finally died after much incapacitating suffering, as I knew we would have a new Pope.  Just as when I was little and Pius XII died, I was thrilled we would have a new Pope.
.
I may be off in this, but it seems to me being off about things isn't all that uncommon these days - especially amongst the 'good' Catholics.  Consider how everyone got on Cantalamessa's case on Good Friday, as he attempted to compare the current media assault upon the Pope and the Church to the anti-semitism of Nazi Germany.  After which, self-appointed uber-Catholic bloggers rushed to judgement, along with secular media and the JDL, and criticized the hell out of the guy.  Right or wrong, one wonders just how devoutly some of these more Catholic than the Papal Theologian observed their Triduum, shooting their mouths off online.  Talk about "petty gossip".
.
Wanna buy a "Pray for the Pope" water bottle?  Golfshirt?

7 comments:

  1. I'd feel conspicuous wearing a 'pray for the Pope' golfshirt. Makes it harder on the conscience to fudge a bit on scoring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only there were baseball caps...

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    It might not have been the right forum for it, but it was a pep talk I needed.

    And on that other issue you've brought up . . . You know, Terry, it's not easy to be an uber-Catholic blogger. There is so much pressure on one to keep up the uber-Catholic (which comes from a German word that means "opinionated" and a Greek word that means "online") persona at all times--and to anticipate readers' desire for one's take on important matters! I mean, what would some readers do without their daily Catholic blog fixes?

    But if I had a choice between a weird "pep talk" from a cardinal and even weirder "petty gossip" from a self-appointed online apostle, I know what I'd go for.

    (It's very late where I live. I might wake up in a few hours, come back to read this and be mortified. You may delete it if you wish, Terry.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can think of worse things to spend my money on (like any number of things the USSCB promotes) and if that water bottle will fit in my rack on my bicycle then I'll gladly sport my support about town. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enbrethiliel - I like the comment - you make an excellent point.

    And so do you Owen - you're a good guy!

    I'm bad and cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria6:51 PM

    '"Any time anyone politicizes the liturgy it is a departure from our tradition. The Mass is above politics, transcends politics, just as the kingdom of God is above the kingdoms of this world... The moral authority of the Church derives ultimately from the events of Easter morning 1,980 years ago". Amen. Great article. I am with you, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd like a WWWDTPRS bracelet...yeah?:<)!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.