"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Le Diable chie toujours au même endroit.

"The devil sets up another dangerous temptation: self-assurance in the thought that we will in no way return to our past faults and worldly pleasures: 'for now I have understood the world and know that all things come to an end and that the things of God give me greater delight.' If this self-assurance is present in beginners, it is very dangerous because with it a person doesn't take care against entering once more into the occasion of sin, and he falls flat; please God the relapse will not bring something much worse. For since the devil sees that he is dealing with a soul that can do him harm and bring profit to others, he uses all his power that it might not rise." - St. Teresa of Avila, Way of Perfection 39: 4

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the quote. And also the photo is so so so appropriate. I always imagine the devil is hidden in a manhole (person-hole).
    Please tell me where is this sculpture? Public art interests me. I was trained as a landscape architect before becoming a friar.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother William - I grabbed the image off a website I Googled and neglected to link to - But the sculpture is in Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother - found it:

    A sculpture of a man being tripped up. Next to the Brussels-Charleroi Canal at Sainctelette-plein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I have been following your blog for quite a while. It seems you are a professional artist. Where did you have your training?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother William, thanks - you must be one of the view I haven't scared away - LOL!
    .
    I studied locally at the University of Minnesota but I tend to be more self-taught, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be one of those no-nonsense Minnesotans, as portrayed in the A Prairie Home Companion, although your name doesn't sound German. I know from your blogs that you go to the Cathedral and not some parochial church like OL of Perpetual Responsibility....
    BTW is it difficult to make a living as an artist?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty nonsensical - and yes - it can be difficult to make a living as an artist - if one is like me. I never accepted jobs or commisions I didn't want to do.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.