Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Devotion to the Precious Blood


"To understand the meaning of the Precious Blood we must (otherwise the mystery will be lost on us), we must get some comprehension of the gravity of sin, of the awfulness of offending God, because it required the Blood of the Son of God to forgive that sin. We are living in an age in which to sin has become fashionable. But we believe that we are here for only a very short time. We further believe that Christ when He told us the way that leads to damnation is broad and many there are who walk that way, that the way that leads to eternal life is narrow and there are few who walk that way. I am watching every syllable I am saying.


The Church has never pronounced infallibly on the number lost and the number saved, but she has canonized St. John of the Cross and made him a Doctor of the Church. Says John of the Cross: "I believe that the majority of the human race will be lost." - Fr. Hardon

9 comments:

  1. Among other things, the accounting for every word part does indeed make me nervous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:47 AM

    Humbling post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having trouble with this one after reading so much about the Divine Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela -

    I thought of the Divine Mercy as well. I believe Jesus tells us through this devotion of trust in his mercy, the same thing he told the apostles when they asked, "Well, then, who can be saved?" And Jesus answered, "With God, all things are possible." So we must trust in the promises of Christ - "Jesus I Trust In You!" And thousands around us will be saved.

    Devotion to the Precious Blood is part of the devotion to the Divine Mercy - "Blood and water flowing from the side of Christ, I trust in you!"

    The way is narrow and difficult, but Jesus picks up the lame and the crippled, and the very little ones - when they cry out for his mercy with trust, carrying them on His shoulders and in his arms, (closest to his heart are the greatest sinners), like the Good Shepherd.

    Do not be troubled, just pray, "Jesus I trust in you."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do, Terry, I do! It's getting easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Angela! Been missing you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Do not be troubled, just pray, "Jesus I trust in you."' Good advice, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rememebr that at Fatima, the Blessed Virgin told the children that the majority of souls go to hell for sins of the flesh. But I bet the penance in purgatory is really tough for words ill spken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think most people reject God's Divine Mercy and so they are on their way to hell. It's not that the Lord turns from us; it's that so often we refuse to ask for His forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.