"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A funny story...

You light up my life.
When I lived in Boston I became friends with a man who was planning to enter monastic life. He was very devout and frequented the same adoration chapels as I did. One night we were out for supper - he wanted to treat me. After dinner, whereat he had insisted he bore the stigmata, and I tried to convince him otherwise, we were walking to the trolley to go our separate ways. Suddenly he started to sing Debbie Boon's song, "You Light Up My Life".
I never liked to be sung to, my Dad used to do it when he was drunk, so I was embarrassed for my friend. After he finished serenading me he said, "Terry, that's how I feel about you." I realized he was gay and had a huge crush on me. I proceeded to explain to him the monastic notion of inordinate affections and friendship. He seemed to take it well.
I never saw him again.
[This post was prompted after hearing the same song on television tonight. Sorry - I'm OCD about at least one post a day.]


  1. Aside from watching the Bold and the Beautiful, I thought you didn't watch TV? What were you doing watching "The Singing Bee?" I am so disappointed.

  2. Monica - hello! I'm a guy - I control the remote. I was surfing during a commercial break. (The cats were watching TV - not me. LOL!)

  3. I cannot get Ingrid Michaelson's song "The Way I Am" (from an OLD NAVY TV commercial) out of my head:

    "If you are chilly,
    Here take my sweater,
    'Cuz I love
    The Way you call me 'Baby'

  4. I blame the cat, too, when the children find me watching "COPS"----she always wanted to be in law enforcement.

  5. "Memories...like the corners of my mind...misty water colored memories.."

    LMAO! Terry, you have such a way about you.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.