Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Blessed Bartolo Longo


And Our Lady of Pompeii

Thanks to Don Marco I remembered it is Bl. Bartolo's feast day! He established the shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompeii. The image is a Spanish Colonial retablo he found, poorly painted, and had it re-touched and installed as the central image of the shrine, the centerpiece of devotion. Many miracles are attributed to it, or rather through the devotion of the Holy Rosary the image inspired. It remains my favorite image of the Queen of the Holy Rosary.

Check out Don Marco for more details.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:31 PM

    Blessed Bartolo's full account of how he came upon the painting is given (in Italian) at Pompei's wonderful site www.santuario.it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this painting at home and am trying to find as much information on it that I can.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.