Friday, December 16, 2022

Just a thought


 


Anticipating heaven.


Pray, pray, pray.  However you know how, wherever you are.  Never give up prayer, no matter what state you are in.  The rosary is a sure way of ceaseless prayer.  The morning offering ensures that everything we do is a prayer and a sacrifice throughout the day, as the Catechism states:  "He "prays without ceasing" who unites prayer to works and good works to prayer. Only in this way can we consider as realizable the principle of praying without ceasing."  And, "It is possible to offer fervent prayer even while walking in public or strolling alone, or seated in your shop, . . . while buying or selling, . . . or even while cooking."

I would suggest that frequent spiritual communion throughout the day sustains us in the presence of God and teaches us how to be recollected in our occupations.  These things I recommend to those who do not go to daily Mass, and even those who may be caught in the habit of sin. "Prayer is the trap door out of sin."  Never give up prayer.

Artists like to quote Dostoevsky, or is it Solzhenitsyn, who wrote, "beauty will save the world".  What few realize is that the true beauty, the essential beauty, or the 'love of beauty' is what the monastic fathers called prayer.  As the Catechism affirms: "Still others exalt sensuality and comfort as the criteria of the true, the good, and the beautiful; whereas prayer, the "love of beauty" (philokalia), is caught up in the glory of the living and true God. Finally, some see prayer as a flight from the world in reaction against activism; but in fact, Christian prayer is neither an escape from reality nor a divorce from life."

Prayer is our heaven on earth.

3 comments:

  1. Religious long have advocated work as prayer. The simpler the better. I have tried this and boy it is not as easy as it sounds. Simplicity in all things is true beauty, but very very difficult to achieve.
    Merry Christmas to all who visit here and Happy New Year. May 2023 pleasantly surprise us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I can remember the only time I could focus on prayer while I was working was when I had to shred boxes of records when I worked for a nursing school. I could get through a rosary, and then I had to stop to keep the shredder from overheating!
      Very best Christmas blessings to you, my dear Mr. H, and to you, Terry. We may never meet, but I treasure you both!

      Delete
    2. Very best Christmas greetings - and prayers - to both of you. I genuinely treasure our friendship and thank God for it.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.