Wednesday, December 22, 2021

So. Let's take a closer look.



Resisting the Pope to his face?

Two issues caught my attention, as readers know: The reactions by some contemplative nuns to the document Cor Orans and the implementation of its guidelines. And, the reactions of Traditionalists devoted to the TLM and their outright rejection of Traditionis Custodes and the implementation of the disciplines proposed.

First let me say I do have sympathy for those attached to the TLM and the rubrics and sacramental rite involved therein.  I respect their attachment to Latin and ceremony.  I personally love the Mass celebrated so elegantly and mysteriously, especially on Christmas and Easter, yet I also love very much the OF and the vernacular - which is always well celebrated in the parishes I attend.  Thus I don't see the problem between the two - it is the Mass.  Up until now, it was understood as one rite under two forms.  The only difference I felt was wanting is that the calendar was not updated for the TLM to include new saints and that the readings were not the same as in the OF.  

That said, I came across an article at Crisis which helped me understand better the affliction felt by ordinary Catholics who love the TLM.  The article by Sean McClinch, It's Time to Occupy the Churches is not something I would promote, but it helped me understand a bit better the passionate response traditionalists have.  His citation of occupying the churches relates to the events in France and can be linked to the history of the SSPX, when Parisian traditionalists did just that.  His position and proposals sound similar.  Which is an unfortunate position, to be sure,

On April 12, 1977, Parisian traditionalists got sick of worshipping in the community hall the petty New Church bureaucrats relegated to them for the celebration of their banned Mass. So they did what any decent, God-fearing Catholics should – they processed into the church of St. Nicholas with priests, occupied it, and stayed there. Every living Trad should know by heart the exchange that occurred between the parish clergyman of St. Nicholas du Chardonnet and one of the occupying priests. - Sean McClinch

The SSPX influence, especially the doctrine of Archbishop Lefebvre can't be obfuscated.  Many, perhaps most of the adherents to the TLM, be they SSPX or FSSP  tend to believe what Lefebvre taught about VII and the NO:

"Now it was during the Council that the enemies of the Church infiltrated Her, and their first objective was to demolish and destroy the Mass insofar as they could." - 50th Jubilee sermon.
Like I said, I have some sympathy for McClinch and those like him.  I lived through wreckovations of churches and experimentation in liturgical forms, changing readings and responses at Mass, and so on.  When JPII came along, the liturgical rubrics and orthodoxy was more or less restored.  My Archdiocese is especially blessed with good priests and bishops - the younger ones more traditional than their seniors, but very good nonetheless.  All the renovations after the Council were imposed - parishioners had no say in how the parish church was modernized.  All I'm trying to say is that I understand how traditionalists feel, yet I, along with many faithful older people, went through it.  We maybe had to ask a progressive priest to give us absolution in confession, and sometimes we could only be sure we were receiving the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ because at least the Consecration, the words of institution were said properly.  Yet we persevered, said our penance after confession and spent a long time in thanksgiving after Communion.  That's all - I just want to acknowledge that I get it.

Father Ducaud-Bourget (center), accompanied by a thousand traditionalists,
 occupied the Church of Saint-Nicolas-du-Chardonnet in Paris back in 1977.


With few exceptions, it was never about the Liturgy.

I implied that in another post, writing:  "The rejection of the NO is directly linked to the rejection of the Council, and it leads to rejection of Papal/Magisterial authority and threatens the unity of the Church, which is in virtual schism at the moment because the propagandists have rejected Peter – like it or not, Pope Francis."  That is what this is all about.  I've already made too long of a post so I will just post a couple excerpts from articles I feel help me make my point.  The first from Larry Chap.  I admire him very much, I don't take as critical a stance of Pope Francis as does he, but I respect his POV and appreciate his gallantry in expressing his position so respectfully.


I am reminded of an excellent essay by Shaun Blanchard in Catholic Life Journal wherein he says something that I think is entirely correct: Traditionis Custodes was never about liturgy at all. What we are witnessing with regard to the recent “clarification” is not about the so-called “liturgy wars” but is instead about Vatican II and its interpretation. You can access Blanchard’s marvelous essay here. It is all worth reading, but for me here is the most salient thing he says:

“No single English word encapsulates the concept I am trying to convey, but thankfully the Germans have a word for everything. I believe Pope Francis’ motu proprio is the latest in a long series of papal assertions of Deutungshoheit over the legacy of Vatican II. Literally “interpretation-sovereignty,” to have Deutungshoheit means to have sovereignty over a narrative, which is the power to control meaning. Pope Francis’s many and virulent critics (my fellow Americans are especially numerous and sometimes vicious in this regard) typically see dangerous innovation and glaring discontinuities littered throughout his pontificate.”

In other words, Traditionis Custodes is about whose interpretation of the post-conciliar reforms will be ascendent in the Church going forward, and the Pope making it clear that he wants it to be his vision of the Council and not that of the traditionalists. - Read the rest here.

 


 

Pope Francis is not the destroyer.

There is a false prophecy attributed to Francis of Assisi that Pope Francis is the destroyer Pope.  I'm convinced many traditionalists and even contemplative monastics believe this.  Especially as it concerns "Cor Orans" IMPLEMENTING INSTRUCTIONOF THE APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION “VULTUM DEI QUAERERE” ON WOMEN’S CONTEMPLATIVE LIFE.

From Archbishop Vigano, to former members of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate, and some Discalced Carmelite nuns, rumor and fears are promulgated that the Holy See - Pope Francis himself is out to destroy contemplative life in the Church.  The notion defies reason and is based upon rumor, lies, conspiracy theories concerning infiltration as well as apocalyptic paranoia.  There is so much misinformation circulating regarding contemplative communities of nuns. I can't help connect this to the recent outcry against the discipline imposed upon the TLM, which so many claim is spiritually abusive.  That said, I will link to a couple excerpts from Where Peter Is and the fifth article in a series defending contemplative life, Welcome the Light, by Sr. Gabriella Hicks, OCD.

Sr. Gabriella's series is surprisingly candid and direct, unusual in my experience for a Carmelite, but very welcome to better understand what has been going on and clearing away so much of the misinformation circulating on the subject.  I don't have a direct quote but even H.M. St. Teresa of Avila remarked that outsiders, lay people and even clerics do not understand the inner workings of religious communities - which may explain why clergy like Vigano have such a deranged view of things. 

"Spiritual abuse is especially rampant in communities with sectarian aberrations. As Dom Dysmas de Lassus wrote, “in the Culture of Lies, we are touching on an element that is omnipresent in communities with sectarian aberrations.”
I posted the Open Letter to Archbishop Vigano on our website on October 4, and on the same day LifeSiteNews posted an article about the chaplain at the Fairfield Carmel, Fr. Maximilian Mary Dean. The article presented an interview with Fr. Dean which had been made over a month before. As I read the article and watched the interview, I was shocked to read Fr. Dean’s report of the meeting we Carmelite Nuns had with our former Father General and members of the Definitory (the governing body) in St. Louis in April 2017. In the interview, Fr. Dean claimed that the Father General said “that the times have changed and that they, contemplative, cloistered nuns, need to adapt to the times… that they can’t live the way they were living before.”
This was totally incorrect. Immediately, some of us who were present went online to say so. Although Fr. Dean said, “I heard some reports from what took place at the meeting, he didn’t say where he got his information. Since both Mother Stella-Marie, the Prioress of Fairfield Carmel, and Mother Therese, the Sub-Prioress, were present at the meeting[i], as well as Mother Agnes, the Sub-Prioress of Valparaiso, they could have told him directly what was said. The full address of Father General is available online (you can read it here). In his address he did not say anything about needing to “adapt to the times,” but that we need to respond to “the challenges that the times we live in present to contemplative life.” Furthermore, he affirmed and upheld “the truth of our vocation, the truth of Carmel, of its message, of its extraordinary pertinence for modern times.” Moreover, all the conferences and question-and-answer periods were recorded on video, so it is easy to establish the truth. - Read more here.

Sorry for the long post - I just wanted to document these thoughts for my own reference and share them with you.  Beware 'sectarian aberrations'.  Avoid lies and concocted myths meant to destabilize the Church, parishes, religious communities and families.  Do not follow false apparitions and prophecies - remember, as with Fatima, it is the Church which is responsible for the interpretation and approval of all alleged prophecies, locutions, apparitions and heavenly messages. 

9 comments:

  1. I've always gone to the Novus Ordo and pray more easily in the vernacular than I do Latin; my prayer tends to be short-circuited in Latin. I somewhat resent never having been taught the Latin and traditions of the TLM because that's a legitimate part of our patrimony and we have a right to it. I love going to Confession at our ICKSP church because of the seriousness with which they take the sacrament(s), and the Canons are all so human and gentle with their guidance and penances. At my Archdiocesan suburban parish, our pastor sets a very different tone. He gladhands before Mass, booming voice in the vestibule and inside Church, and is intent on ensuring no one has to be subjected to too much pew-sitting at the 7am Mass. He even says "44 and out the door" (meaning 44 minutes for Mass and you're out of here) before the recessional. He's not mean-spirited and genuinely cares about folks but c'mon a little gravitas wouldn't hurt. I love the Papacy. I love the Church. But I do not care for our current Holy Father. I see him as more than indifferent towards traditionalists. With his Jesuitical South American world-view, it is clear to me he is more formed by Karl Marx than Aquinas or Ignatius of Loyola, and is a bully. We've suffered bad popes before. We'll get past this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with Latin because I went to Catholic school, the Mass was only in Latin and that bit of knowledge did wonders for my vocabulary as well as other languages. I prefer English in the liturgy, it helps me enter into the prayers of the Mass more easily. So many are with you and your impressions of the Holy Father, but you know I don't share that view - which is fine. Friends disagree sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Concur. Love you anyway, Blanche

      Delete
  2. More and more I feel like cautioning the TLM and anti-Francis crowd. The day may come that he, by comparison, looks pretty good. The next Pontificate may very well be more intolerable for them. Vigano and friends is deeply bathed in radical right wing politics. Pope Francis & the TLM are their rallying point but they remain a fringe. I too have no problem with regular Latin Rite liturgies but do have a problem with their stated desire to dominate all aspects of the Faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next Pope will be interesting how he transitions this mess. LOL!

      Delete
  3. My dear Terry, you have expressed this so well, and it is exactly as I feel about all of the current uproar.

    I also have sympathy and respect the preferences of those who attend the TLM, although my own preference is for the Ordinary Form celebrated at my beloved priests by our very faithful priests.

    I think it is unfortunate that many of the more militant TLM adherents are very loud in their opinions against the NO and the rest of us. I have dear friends who prefer the TLM who would *never* refer to the Ordinary Form Mass, our priests, and the rest of us with less than respect. They realize, as we do, that both Forms are equally sacred and licit, as are the Eastern Rite Divine Liturgies. What it comes down to, for faithful Catholics, is personal preference.

    With very few exceptions, the current roster of parish priests in my Diocese who have been ordained in the last 10-15 years is filled with very faithful, joyful, and obedient young men who have fearlessly and generously given their lives to Jesus and His Church. They deserve better than the disrespect shown to them by some of the more outspoken and cranky TLM spokespeople.

    And, as you so clearly point out, Pope Francis - whether we like him or not - is licitly selected for us by the Holy Spirit in the line of St. Peter. Period. In obedience to our Faith, we must in turn obey and respect him. Period. Our Faith is more important than personalities.

    Over the last 2,000 years, we have had noble, holy faithful, courageous popes, and some who perhaps were less so. It doesn't matter to those of us who want to be faithful Catholics what kind of pope we have.

    As a fellow parishioner told me when I mentioned I was worried about who the Diocese would send us after our pastor moved on to another parish, we must pray for a faithful, holy priest who loves us, but who loves Jesus more. And if the priest we are sent is less than faithful and holy, we must pray all the harder for him to become holy and faithful. I'm thinking the same goes for our popes.

    Never complain about the length of your postings, Terry. I am always glad to hear from you, and as you can see, it is I who write too much, not you! The only observation I have about your blog is that I miss the Christmas stories about the tiny creatures in your garden. As I pointed out before, you should consolidate them into a children's book (which I would buy for myself and my Goddaughters with great pleasure!)

    Merry Advent to you, my dear brother in Christ, and to all here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve! Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  4. I also understand what drives the passions of those TLM attendees so upset with T.C. - but it is a disordered passion in its current frenzy. I have some strong inclinations in that regard myself but pulled back from that creeping trajectory a couple years ago. I have found both Michael Lofton's more recent work on YouTube at Reason and Theology (the last 18 months in particular) helpful as well as some of the more recent posts of Ron Conte (reproach of christ blog). Plus my own common sense and studying of how the magisterium works (and how it must work otherwise we might as well abandon the mothership).

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.