Friday, December 10, 2021

A sign of contradiction.

Sister Jeannine Gramick and Francis DeBernardo of New Ways Ministry, 
St. Peter's Square after Pope Francis' weekly audience, February 18, 2015. 
REUTERS/Giampiero

How I understand Pope Francis.

The Pope's latest statement on the resignation of the Archbishop of Paris and how sins of the flesh are not necessarily the most serious.  As well as yesterdays news the Holy Father sent conciliatory letters to New Ways Ministry, encouraging the group in their ministry and praising the work of Sr. Jeannine Gramick.  Both appear to be a sign of contradiction as regards Catholic teaching, not to mention a contradiction of an earlier condemnation by the Holy See of New Ways and the 'silencing' of Sr. Jeanine.  Not a few people were disappointed and many more very angry with the Holy Father. So Many SSA-Gay Catholics feel betrayed when the Pope does stuff like that. 

Neither statements affect me, neither does his recognition of New Ways change my attitude towards homosexuality and Catholic teaching.  When I am confused by what the Pope says, I check the sources and take it to prayer.  Frequently - as a result of prayer - I comment on Facebook that I don't understand how or why so many can be confused by what Pope Francis says.  Today, I can understand healthy and reasonable questioning some of the off the cuff things he says, as well as some confusion after it is revealed he called or sent a letter of affirmation to someone.  As in the case of his letters to New Ways.

I'm not going to itemize all the details in either case.  (Go here for that.) Online Catholics and those who watch EWTN know about the controversies.  I don't have any criticism for those who are convinced the Pope errs and ignores Catholic teaching.  Suffice it to say, I disagree with them.  My love and respect for the Pope remains firm and intact.

That said, todays Gospel is helpful - for me at least - allowing me to remain at peace before the mystery of Christ, knowing the teaching of Christ: “My Father is at work until now, so I am at work.” (Jn 5:17)  Todays Gospel, Christ is speaking about the apparent contradiction between his ministry and that of John the Baptist.

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said,
‘He is possessed by a demon.’
The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they said,
‘Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard,
a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’
But wisdom is vindicated by her works.” - Mt. 11:16-19

I think the Gospel of Matthew holds the answers to many questions regarding the papacy of Pope Francis.  The Call of Matthew is especially telling, as is todays accusation against Christ: ‘Look, he is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’  In that instance, Christ doesn't answer the dubia in the hearts of those present - he instead explains, 'wisdom is vindicated by her works'.  It is only a bit later in the Gospel that Jesus answers the dubia and explains from his heart, what his purpose is about.

The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher* eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
He heard this and said, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.*
Go and learn the meaning of the words, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.” - Mt.9:9-13

 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.  Catholic teaching cannot change.  Mortal sin is mortal sin - we who are sinners and have sinned just as much as those who some wish to be condemned, we have been formed by Catholic teaching, we know the path to salvation is narrow and constricting.  Not everyone accepts that in the same sense, some struggle, some believe they can't accept this or that.  All is not lost, however.  The Holy Father knows that, I believe.

For "life is so short, the path leading to eternal life so narrow, and I know the just man is scarcely saved, while the things of the world are vain and deceitful, and all comes to an end and fails like falling water. The time is uncertain, the accounting strict, perdition very easy and salvation most difficult... I know well I must render an account of everything - from the beginning of my life as well as this later part - unto the last penny, when God will search Jerusalem with lighted candles, and it is already late - the day far spent - to remedy so much evil and harm..." - St. John of the Cross

 So I think the Vicar of Christ is calling out to his sheep, going out to find them and care for them, to bind their wounds and to let them know God loves them - while there is still time, knowing it is already late, the day far spent, to remedy so much evil and harm.  With his Master, the Vicar of Christ can say:  “My Father is at work until now, so I am at work.” (Jn 5:17)

Pray for the Holy Father.  Our Lady asked for that at Fatima, revealing he would suffer much.  

"I saw the Holy Father in a very big house, kneeling by a table, with his head buried in his hands, and he was weeping. Outside the house, there were many people. Some of them were throwing stones, others were cursing him and using bad language. Poor Holy Father, we must pray very much for him." - St. Jacinta

13 comments:

  1. Well, I for one am confused.

    Pope Benedict clearly condemned NWM, Sr. Jeanine Grammick, and her associates because of their agenda and teachings, which clearly contradict Church teaching. Several US bishops over the years have forbid anyone from NWM from speaking on church property in their dioceses for the very same reason.

    From what I can tell, nothing has changed in NWM's agenda.

    There is no logic in Pope Francis encouraging Sr. Jeanine and NWM - at least, if there is, I haven't latched onto it.

    I do pray for Pope Francis, every day, without fail. But when he does things like this, with no clarification, it is very difficult for those of us in the trenches, who are willing to defend the Church and its teaching. I want to be pleasing to God, and I want to follow Church teaching no matter what. But what exactly *is* the Pope teaching in this circumstance? Is it a kindness to encourage anyone who, by his/her words and actions, leads others into sin?

    Peace, my dear Terry, and all here - Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - this is a big one for everyone who accepts and believes Catholic teaching. I actually posted on FB with an apology to New ways for feeling free to condemn them in the past since they so obviously dissented from Catholic teaching. I apologized because the Pope reached out in charity to the persons involved. I said he must have a different POV which I missed. So, I can only conclude he has the best intentions and wrote to them for reason I stated in my post. I was never attracted to the New Ways ministry or groups such as Dignity - even when I tried, my conscience wouldn't permit me. Instead of condemning the errors, I often disparaged the persons involved, and for that I apologized. I understand the Pope only along those lines. What looks like an endorsement doesn't work for me. Thus far it is how these groups and media perceive his actions and statements - I don't. I understand the confusion others experience. You ask what is the Pope teaching here. He's not formally teaching anything - he seems to me to simply being a father - opening a door, listening, acknowledging and recognizing the persons involved. I think I implied in the post, we know Catholic teaching and so do they - the Pope does as well - He knows we know it. Yet he reaches out in a conciliatory gesture - which is authentic. Some may respond and be reconciled, some may not. At least that's how I see it. Even if the Pope were to actually contradict Catholic teaching and the Commandments - if that were even possible - nothing changes for those who believe, indeed, Catholic teaching can't change. So we know that.

      Thanks Susan - I love your comments. God bless you and may he clarify things for all of us.

      Delete
    2. I agree that it must be that he is being pastoral toward Sr. Jeanine and NWM. And to "leave the light on" in case they do reform their agenda would be so charitable. You are right - that can be the only thing PF means by this. It is unfortunate that the NWM people publicized what may have been a personal letter. Peace to you, my dear brother, and Happy Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe (tomorrow). My parish is celebrating today with mananitas (welcoming songs to Our Lady, which happened at 6 AM today - with lightning going on, like at Fatima!) - bilingual Mass at 4:30 and the fiesta to follow. We love her!

      Delete
    3. I misread "mananitas" as "margaritas" and I want to greet the Blessed Mother with margaritas one day!

      Delete
    4. Margaritas wouldn't have been a bad thing, Ms. Nan! Las Mananitas is an old Mexican custom of getting up at the crack of dawn and lovingly singing welcoming songs to Our Lady. Normally we would have done this outside, in front of the OLG statue at a former entrance to the church. But it was storming, so we were inside the church. A mariachi singer (a young lady of the parish), fully costumed in traditional Mexican dress and her hair pulled back into a bun at the nape of her neck and with roses covering the bun, beautifully sang for about half an hour. After our good pastor offered prayers, we went down to the social hall in the basement for hot, homemade tamales with coffee or Mexican hot chocolate (which is a great favorite of mine - made with cinnamon!) My Mexican friend, Lety, who is La Reina de los Tamales, even made sweet tamales for our pastor - I did not know there was such a thing, but he said they were delicious. They did the same on Sunday morning (which was the actual feast day of OLG). I do not think Our Lady would have minded if we celebrated with margaritas (or mimosas!)

      Delete
  2. What Susan said. At the end of the day, I give it to Christ because I'm sick and tired of trying to explain the Pope to others anymore. Not my job. He's Christ's Vicar, let Him sort him out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good attitude - even better than mine.

      Delete
    2. Amen! The Lord knows us all deeply ... he will sort it out.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what NWM is or what they teach. I do believe the media distorts everything so I have no trust in what is reported anymore. I believe we are seeing the slow unfolding of the major Marian prophecies. Division, lies, heresy, & just plain evil. I see children murdered in school. I see a culture that worships guns; Even on Christmas cards! I see my Church & Country in clear decline. All I can do is try and set my house in order, care for those I can and of course pray for it all to improve. It will take an extreme event to shake us out of our supercharged consumer culture. On a lighter side, I heard my wife answer a question from my four year old grandson about what the name was of the king who wanted to kill the infant Jesus. Herod she told him. Well later that day he & his two sisters and I were putting out our yard nativity display. He was more interest in playing in the fresh snow. When he came over only the kings were left to be set up. He proudly told his sisters he knew the name of the king he was placing. “His name is Harry,” he proudly said. Thank God for children. They are so innocent and full of joy. Peace to all who visit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree we are seeing a clear decline in our country - 'blood flowing in the streets' as some Marian messages have foretold. I'm content not understanding everything the Pope is reported to have said and I can let it go, remembering St. Catherine's devotion to the Pope as Vicar of Christ. I think the diabolic delusion Sr. Lucia warned about is so great at this time, that even the elect may be fooled at times - which is all the more reason to cling to Christ and the Church by fidelity to the commandments, faithful to the duties of our state, which includes prayer frequent reception of the sacraments and exercising ourselves in charity toward one another and even our enemies.

      Thanks for the delightful story of your grandson - I love being at Mass with the families and their children - it's such a consolation. God bless you and your family!

      Delete
  4. Terry, I admire your faithfulness to the Faith, but sadly as a parish priest on the frontlines of this battle for souls. I and every other priest I know, that is not rather liberal and loose on Church teaching, finds Pope F very troubling as I friend of mind said recently: Pope F always calls for accompaniment but never seems to add the need for conversion - ignoring what Jesus said the to woman caught in adultery - I do not condemn you but go and sin no more. It just seems like Pope F wants to be everyone's friend if you are on the liberal side of things, see Joe Biden and New Ways Ministry, but if you are a "rad trad" sort or even mainstream orthodox Catholic you are "rigid" and "unmerciful" toward sinners. Yes, tell that to us priests who are hearing Confessions for hours on end in Advent - not exactly a pleasure trip on a human level- ha-ha. It's a dire spiritual time as Our Lady pointed out at Akita and Kibeho, and it's a time of weak, to put it kindly, leaders both in Church and State. We need to entrust all to Our Lady of Fatima and her promise of the Triumph of her Immaculate Heart someday and in the meantime offer much prayer and sacrifice for the conversion of souls, our own, hardened sinners, and Pope F who is not pointing people to the radicalness of holiness, per St. John of the Cross who's feast day we honor today, but rather the mediocrity of being nice and friendly to sinners with no subsequent call to conversion - maybe because this is what he actually believes as he said on that airplane interview a few weeks back from Hungary- all end up in Heaven anyway and he chuckled. Really that's not the teaching of the saints or any of the Popes prior to him- it sounds like the heresy of universalism that Origen fell into and again with the modernists that St. Pius X condemned and called to conversion in the early 20th century. How sadly history repeats itself when we don't learn from it in humility. Keep up the good work Terry as there are no easy answers to a Pope who causes scandal to many, and I can say since he became Pope in 2013 I do not know one person who came back to the Faith because of his example or became a Catholic because of it. Again, limited examples but all the priests I know say the same. By their fruits you will know them....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Father! Thanks for your wonderful comment which addresses all the inconsistencies of this Pontificate. All I can say is that I understand, but very seriously I consider him to be Buon Pastore - sp? - he has broken the papacy - in a good way - he has brought it down to our level. This I mean in the sense of Philippians 2:7 and the hymn to humility. I know in my parish some Catholics who returned to the sacraments because of Pope Francis - I know several fallen away Catholics who now believe it possible to be reconciled to the Church. I wish that I was smart and holy, to convey the beauty of the Divine Mercy, the Sacred Humanity brought to the most alienated because of this Pope. Praise God who can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine in the name of Jesus. Thanks for commenting dear Fr. R.

      Delete
  5. Interesting comments worthy of reflection. I do know of people who have returned, stay on & have been renewed in Faith due to Pope Francis’s example. That said in todays world no leader will ever again enjoy a majority of support among their followers. The questioning, ignoring of Church teaching began with Paul’s Humane Vita. The future of Church governance is probably in the third world countries. Francis is a transitional Pope. I have no idea what that will look like.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.