Monday, May 31, 2021

The Skojec Reset




When you're down and they're counting...

Steve Skojec of OnePeter5 has encountered a bit of opposition, or friendly fire, if you will, in the form of a rebuke/snub from his FSSP pastor.  Ostensibly for not showing up for Mass during the pandemic, despite the dispensation.  As a result, his son's 1st Communion is postponed, and his soon to be born child may have been refused Baptism.  From Catholic Herald:

The last straw for Steve Skojec was an FSSP priest telling him that his son couldn’t make his first communion, and his soon-to-be-born son would not be baptized, because their family hadn’t been to Mass enough during the pandemic.

The founder of the traditionalist site OnePeter5 was outraged and heartbroken — but even more, he writes in a blog post titled Against Crippled Religion, he was profoundly disillusioned. (He wrote a follow-up post two days later titled An Epidemic of Brokenness.) - Steve Greydanus

This story is worthy of note since Skojec has a long history of calling out the pope, bishops, priests and laity, as well as institutions for  their failures and lack of orthodoxy.  Greydanus offers the job description like this, "For seventeen years, he had been a gung-ho apologist for traditionalist Catholicism..."  I've written about Skojec many times here, so this commentary isn't out of place.  I posted some comments on FB which are more suited in the context of this blog, so I've reposted those here.

When your secrets all found out...

I find Steve Skojec's recent lament ironic.  He almost sounds like how Pope Francis has repeatedly cautioned against such things as rigidity. This type of apparent snub by a priest has happened to many people - traditionalist or ordinary Catholics. Saints have been interdicted and excommunicated and disciplined over the centuries - it's kind of Catholic. I'm stunned that Skojec, who used to come off as more Catholic than the Pope, is now close to giving up the faith.  I very much doubt he will do that, however.

Hopefully this is an authentic awakening. Similar purgation happens to all of us, when our lies are all found out and there is no one to guide us. Excuse me for falling back on pop culture, but the lyrics of this song seem apt:

"When the doctor failed to heal you
When no medicine chest can make you well
When no counsel leads to comfort
When there are no more lies they can tell
No more useless information and the compass spins
The compass spins between heaven and hell." - Sting

This is what happens to us - we think we have found the pearl of great price (and we really did), but we get ourselves sidetracked in trying to grasp it for ourselves. As we go along, more and more of what we think we have, needs to be put in perspective, sometimes even annihilated. Our attachments, our idols may then be taken away. I often think of Edith Stein who explained the purpose of this stripping away:

"In aridity and emptiness the soul becomes humble. Former pride disappears when a man no longer finds in himself anything that might cause him to look down on others." - Science of the Cross
 
I hope Steve and company - and of course, myself - can continue to allow ourselves to be taught, "To lose always and let everyone else win..." - John of the Cross. To stop looking down on others, to quit pretending we know more than all who teach us because we do everything right, as it were. I used to think like that - because I lived a chaste, celibate life, prayed a couple hours a day, went to Mass daily, and so on. I attributed to myself what the psalmist says, "I have more understanding than all who teach me, because I do your will." Yet only Christ can say that - not me.

"Sell your will, give it to the poor in spirit, come to Christ in meekness and humility, and follow him to Calvary and the sepulcher." - John of the Cross

I keep repeating the same maxims because they can be easily forgotten, but I love to recall what St. Therese taught her novices:

"Therese believed that God frequently allows us to experience in ourselves the same weaknesses which we deplore in others,,, [Thus] when we see ourselves fallen into those faults we are then more prompt to excuse them in others." - My Sister St. Therese, Sr. Genevieve

Purification, purging, even the collapse of our spiritual 'domicile' so to speak (built on sand) - to the loss of everything - are trials to purify our faith. Sort of like what happened to Job. We also need to remember Job's friends, who offered their bad advice - perhaps like my commentary here.
 
We need to let the dead bury their dead and we need to follow Christ alone. Christians are not approved by the world - indeed, Christians often do not approve of one another - all the snark online verifies that much. But how does that concern us when our job is to follow Christ? St. Seraphim of Sarov assures us, "Keep yourself in peace and thousands around you will be saved."
 
So there you have it - that is what I understand by the words, 'let the dead bury their dead'. It is in reality a going out, of sorts - outside the city gates, bearing the insult Christ bore. For here we have no lasting city; we are seeking one which is to come. Through him let us continually offer God a sacrifice of praise, that is the fruit of lips which acknowledge his name. Our life is hidden with Christ in God and I know I need to fix my eyes on him, who inspires and perfects my faith.

May God grant us the grace, that "former pride disappear, and that we can no longer find in our self anything that might cause us to look down on others." 
 
God have mercy on all of us.

21 comments:

  1. Unbelievable. In our Novus Ordo parish that would never happen to a young family during a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there may be more to the story - Rorate posted several testimonies in support of the priest - so I'm thinking there is another side we're not hearing.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am getting that impression as well.

      Delete
  2. That whole situation is sad, and points out why I avoid just about all Catholic sites. I'm sure there's more to the story. There's also that old saying about airing your dirty laundry in public which IMO applies to his post.

    I realized years and years ago I had no business having a "Catholic" blog. I also withdrew from teaching RCIA and youth catechism in my then NO parish. I've attended an FSSP parish for several decades now and am happy to attend Mass, Adoration, and the occasional coffee after Mass - keeping my mouth shut. I'm perfectly capable of studying my faith without the help of the laity and their opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My point is kind of like what you've said. Like a priest once told me in confession - after scolding me for trying to defend the pope - "we priests are always going to disappoint you." My pride was hurt by the first rebuke, but I felt better with the second.

      Delete
  3. Well, in Britain Boris Johnson, born & raised Catholic, twice married twice divorced, repeated public affairs, living with the mother of his out of wedlock child, officially Anglican, is allowed a Catholic wedding sacramental marriage in Westminster Cathedral! So, there’s that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost funny, in a way.

      Delete
    2. Yes, especially when you think that England broke with Rome over a leaders desire to divorce and remarry.

      Delete
    3. Wallace - apparently it was all on the up and up. From J.D. Flynn at The Pillar:

      "Now, as regards Boris Johnson, Mr Johnson is a Catholic. His new wife is a Catholic. He previously attempted marriage, twice, but neither attempt observed canonical form, and thus Mr. Johnson did not contract marriage validly in either case. He was therefore free to marry. So was his new wife. In light of that, they married one another on Saturday.

      Such things happen in Catholic Churches around the world every day of the week. Insofar as I can tell, Mr. Johnson received no special treatment with regard to his being “allowed” to attempt marriage on Saturday. Instead, the Church regards the right to attempt marriage to be an ordinary human right, which it seem Mr. Johnson and his wife exercised on Saturday."

      Delete
    4. Yeah I saw that, but I have to laugh at “attempted marriage twice” Civil marriages are legal marriages. Co habitation with child who was baptized before this marriage just underlines the special treatment powerful people get. The priest mentioned in this blog’s first thread would certainly take a different position. Not that I really care both seem extreme examples.

      Delete
    5. The other quirky thing in this is whether or not Boris is publicly a revert to the RC Church. Tony Blair waited til he left office to publicly convert. There is a serious political & religious reason for that. The British Prime Minister has a role in the selection of Anglican Archbishops. Especially problematic in regard to the Archbishop of Canterberry. The Anglican primate and the English rival to the Pope. This is a conflict of interest and frowned on by both religions.

      Delete
  4. God have mercy, indeed. The Church (and government) of Canada is dealing with a crisis now that is equal to, if not worse than, the sex abuse crisis. Last week, an unmarked grave containing the bodies of 215 First Nation children was discovered. It was at the site of an Indian Residential school. Who knows how many more schools have such unmarked graves? The comments on social media, which I am forcing myself to read, are so awful, so soul crushing, that I am going to have to stop looking at them. I am terrified a mob is going to come to our parish and protest or burn it down. Nobody has suggested doing that but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I am sick to my stomach over all of it. I have heard the stories of residential school survivors (starved, experimented on, malnourished, left to die of TB, etc., left to freeze to death if they ran away, the list goes on) and truly the priests and nuns who did this to them should be thrown in jail, except most if not all, are dead now. My faith is not shaken in Jesus Christ or the Sacraments but I am so angry the bishops are silent. Why can they not apologize? Sorry for hijacking the comment section. I guess I had to post this because I feel the Canadian church is being purged and I am scared. I beg for your prayers for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - I have been reading about this. I agree that it is like the sex abuse crisis - but so much worse. I was heartbroken to read how one mother asked for her child's body to bury - and they refused - they wouldn't pay for an 'Indian' to be transported. One goes back and forth from anger and to profound grief. What have we done in the 'New World' to the first people? Just yesterday was the anniversary of Black Wall Street when whites massacred a thriving black community - and it was the first time in my life I ever heard of it. These crimes against humanity stand right up there with the abortion debacle. Of course I'll pray - but it does appear a reckoning is going to come. I pray you remain safe.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your prayers. There was a glimmer of hope today. The religious order (OMI) that ran this particular school has reached out to the Chief of the local First Nations band. I don't know what her response will be but I am glad that the OMI acknowledged their part in it. The silence from the Church has been deafening.

      Delete
  5. Well spoken, Mr. Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for commenting - I'm pleased you are still around.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your posts,especially this one. Some thirty years ago, I bought a copy of an icon of the Protection of the Mother of God, with the Blessed Mother in a Carmelite habit with John of the Cross and St.Theresa.I think it was from a 3rd Order OCD group in Minneapolis. I believe the original was written by you. It has been a treasured part of my prayer since then
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. it is nice to know you have a copy of that icon. God bless you.

      Delete
  7. People will often disappoint us, but God *NEVER* will. Sometimes people are frustrating and hurtful, but, as hard as it is to understand, it is God who really matters. It is good, as Adrienne, sometimes to just take up space in the pew and step back from the rest of us. It's like getting a reset. And, as a good priest once pointed out to me, sometimes we just need to get out of God's way so he can set the stage for the next chapter in one's life. Peace and blessings to you, dear Terry, and all here.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.