Monday, August 05, 2019

My hermitage garden ...

Ave Maria Room

Madonna 

View out.

View into Ave Maria 

The enclosure overgrown lilac woods.

Enclosure with lilac woods 
or as I call it,
 St. Joseph's Wood.

I mentioned on FB that I've let part of my garden go natural-wild, although I do conserve it and need to get in there and clean the stone paths.  I decided to leave it a bit wild to recover from rabbit damage - and yet to allow a sanctuary space for critters and the birds  and the bees to thrive.  It works!  Either St. Francis or St. Martin de Porres wanted such spaces in their gardens.  I also let the hedge grow tall to remain hidden from the neighbors - and now I no longer see their buildings or vast array of lawn ornaments and fairy villages.  They don't have to be distracted by mine, either - so it's a good thing.  Next season I hope to tame the hedge just a bit to create a green wall - that is, if the rabbits don't kill it.  In the meantime, it is a wonderful retreat for me.

I originally posted about it after reading an article on 'ungardening' or 'rewilding' yards by people who want to avoid chemical use and be more eco-friendly, while creating space for wildlife, e.g. birds, bees and butterflies, etc..  Story here.

My outer yard remains more cultivated and manicured - although I have some sculpting and trimming to do.

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful place you have. Quiet solitude as you listen to the birds sing God's praises while the wind lulls you to sleep.
    Not many are blessed to have such treasures.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful jardin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely garden Terry. Your artistic eye is evident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Terry - how beautiful! It looks like a cloister garden! I am sure Our Lady feels right at home in the special room you created for her. I wish I had your talent and eye for gardening. But I certainly appreciate it in others. Thanx so much for sharing, and God bless you and all here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place for contemplation! I envy you. Enjoy the wilder-ness!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.