Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Today is the anniversary of the death of St. Leopold Mandic

Feast: 12 May (30 July in Roman martyrology)



 Pope Francis on Pope JPI and Leopold Manic.
“I once read a homily by then cardinal Albino Luciani, later Pope John Paul I, about Father Leopold Mandic´, who had just been beatified by Pope Paul VI,” Bergoglio says. “He described something that was very similar to what I just told you. “You know, we are all sinners,” Luciani said on that occasion. “Father Leopold knew that very well. We must take this sad reality of ours into account: no one can avoid sin, small or great, for very long. But,’ as Saint Francis de Sales said, ‘if you have a little donkey and along the road it falls onto the cobblestones, what should you do?’ You certainly don’t go there with a stick to beat it, poor little thing; it’s already unfortunate enough. You must take it by the halter and say: ‘Up, let’s take to the road again . . . Now we will get back on the road, and we will pay more attention next time.’ This is the system, and Father Leopold applied this system in full. A priest, a friend of mine, who went to confess to him, said: ‘Father, you are too generous. I am glad to have gone to confession to you, but it seems to me that you are too generous.’ And Father Leopold said: ‘But who has been generous, my son? It was the Lord who was generous; I wasn’t the one who died for our sins, it was the Lord who died for our sins. How could he have been more generous with the thief, with others, than this!’” This was the homily of then Cardinal Luciani on Leopold Mandic´, who was later proclaimed a saint by John Paul II.”
[...]No human sin —however serious—can prevail over or limit mercy. After serving for several years as the Bishop of Vittorio Veneto, Albino Luciani held some training exercises for parish priests, and when commenting on the parable of the Prodigal Son once said this about the Father: “He waits. Always. And it is never too late. That’s what he’s like, that’s how he is . . . he’s a father. A father waiting at the doorway, who sees us when we are still far off, who is moved, and who comes running toward us, embraces us, and kisses us tenderly . . . Our sin is like a jewel that we present to him to obtain the consolation of forgiveness . . . Giving a gift of jewels is a noble thing to do, and it is not a defeat but a joyous victory to let God win!”” John Paul I and Francis

Pope John Paul I was, for me, an anticipation of Pope Francis - a sort of preview.  Both had/have devotion to St. Leopold, the confessor.  May St. Leopold obtain for those who are great and powerful in the Church to understand the lowliness and humility which characterized the little Capuchin priest, St. Leopold Mandic.  May St. Leopold pray for me and obtain for me humility, contrition and compunction.


St. Leopold, pray for us!


1 comment:

  1. It is always a great consolation to me to be reminded that our Lords mercy is a gift that knows no bounds. This post of yours Terry also reminds me to seek Him while He can still be found even into my last breath.

    When I am at the bedside of a dying patient, I am praying for our Lord Jesus to call them to himself, to give them the graces they need to respond so that they might be saved. In His bountiful mercy, I believe He does.

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.