Monday, January 28, 2019

Devotion to the Blessed Sacrament at Mass




And reverence for the Blessed Sacrament at Communion time.

Yesterday I was at the old people's church and an elderly EMHC missed the elderly lady's mouth - she was a couple of people in line ahead of me, which is why I noticed.  The host fell on the floor, and the EMHC picked it up and put it in the hand with which he was holding the 'plate',  and continued distributing communion.  So.  The host can be dropped, no matter how it is distributed.  However, altar servers used to use a communion paten, to catch any particles if they fell.  Likewise, kneeling with a communion rail cloth to catch a falling host used to work out well.

Yesterday, as is my custom, I got to Mass an hour early and shortly before Mass the deacon came out to purify the cups from the first Mass. I was looking at the Tabernacle and the credence table was in my line of sight.  I noticed he poured what was left of the Precious Blood into a bowl. I couldn't look anymore, as I suddenly realized the Precious Blood was just sitting unceremoniously on the credence table. I go early to Mass for prayer before the Blessed Sacrament and little did I know the PB was there.. Something is wrong with that - I'm not sure people believe or understand the Real Presence. Needless to say, I offered my communion in reparation for the negligence and indifference Jesus suffers in the Blessed Sacrament. 

Beraud Jean - Moment Of Holy Communion


These neglects and indifference amazes me even more since so much emphasis is placed on adoration outside of Mass - not in the tabernacle but in montrances and special chapels.  Completely away from the altar of sacrifice.  I wonder if the connection is made that the Eucharistic Sacrifice is the Mass, and the Real Presence, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity is confected, generated in the Holy Sacrifice?

I sometimes wonder if some parishes open the chapel to adoration as a sort of 'see what we did' boast? My parish did it, but very few people show up, and few sign up.  I go and frequently no one is there.  I go in and find the candles are out, and sometimes the doors on the tabernacle are left open.  I only mention this to contrast the devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and the disconnect to how the Blessed Sacrament is handled at Mass.  It seems to me the reception of Holy Communion hasn't improved. 

I normally keep my eyes closed to these practices, having learned to live with it.  I'm also not against Communion in the hand and personally receive according to the mode of the parish I'm at.  However, if I could kneel I would like that, but I can no longer kneel due to physical disability.  The reason for this post originated on FB.  A young man posted something from WYD:



I found an entire piece of the Blessed Sacrament, our Lord Jesus Christ, on the ground while walking around the grassy field after the Sendoff Mass in WYD 2019.  Out of reverence and to prevent further desecration, I consumed it on the spot. I hope the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion for WYD next time would check the ground around them before leaving, for this is the true Presence of Christ, and should not be taken lightly. 

7 comments:

  1. The greatest gift God gives us is the Eucharist. Mistakes and accidents have always happened. As an altar boy I saw a few. In those days the priest was vigilant in these matters. I think that is often lacking today. The priest relies on the lay ministers to do all that. Distribution of the host at large gatherings is problematic in and of itself. Then you have non believers doing what they do to mock or desecrate or steal the consecrated host for God knows what purpose. As an aside, I just finished the book Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather. What a beautiful story it is. It has given me hope and she was a Protestant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an EMHC. I was taught by the excellent Tanzanian priest who is the Catholic chaplain at the hospital where I bring Communion to Catholic patients to *ALWAYS* hold the pyx beneath the patients hands or chin, whichever way they receive, in order to catch particles. Yes, there can also be particles, or the entire host, dropped when received on the tongue. I have since done this with the ciborium when I assist during Communion at Mass. It takes very little adjustment and is not noticeable to the communicant or others, but it does give me some peace of mind that I am not dropping any particles on the floor or on clothing. I agree with you that this is a valid concern, and perhaps other EMHCs might take my good Father Milton's thoughtful advice. Peace and good to all here - Susan, OFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really just need to stop distributing Holy Communion at these large Masses. I believe that was the modus operandi back in the old days. It's simply not worth the risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heads up Terry!

    There's a Rad Trad storm a brewing....

    Over at One Peter Five: Why Catholics Who Love Tradition Should Not Use Profanity



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skimmed it. Very pious and fervent.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you. There is a reverence lost at such a large and unsupervised venue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry!

    Beautifully written post! I love the photograph you led with....where did you find it?

    Your post reminds me of an anecdote I heard a few years back...forgive me if I repeat myself.....a friend of mine was taking a language refresher course from an Iraqi lady, a Chaldean Christian who told him that lay people should never touch the Blessed Sacrament....she then emphasized this by telling him about one time she saw the Sacrament fall on a church floor. The Chaldean priest got on his hands and knees and licked the Host off the floor...

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.