Sunday, July 02, 2017

Madonna Della Strada - The Jesuit Madonna


The late medieval mural of Santa Maria della Strada was on an external wall of the small chapel of Our Lady of the Way in Rome. It was here that Ignatius prayed and eventually set up the headquarters of his new Society. Ignatius would have known the image well and, throughout his life, had a particular devotion to Our Lady under whose patronage he placed the Society of Jesus.
The small chapel of Santa Maria della Strada was demolished to make way for the Church of the Gesù, begun in 1568 and consecrated in 1584. The image was preserved and is today in the north chapel, having recently undergone restoration. - Source

Lord, holy Father,
you revealed to us the way, the truth, and the life
in your belove Son.
Grant that by faithfully following his example and teaching,
and through the prayers of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
we may be led in safety to you.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

 I am the mother of fair love, and of fear, and of knowledge, and of holy hope.
 In me is all grace of the way and of the truth, in me is all hope of life and of virtue.
- Sirach 24


Blessed and immaculate Mother Mary,

Be for me an example of surrender and engagement.

Create within me

a heart that is honest and pure,

a heart that offers a haven to others,

a heart that is generous and resolute, ever able to overcome difficulties,

always ready to begin again

a humble heart

that expects everything from Jesus

your Son and our Lord. Amen

Ignatius at Montserrat.




Why I love the Jesuits, and even the 'bad' ones ...

St. Teresa of Avila had great respect for the Jesuits.  Someplace in her writings, I forgot where, she mentions she had a vision about a certain order (of priests) who would endure until the end of the world, and be most effective at that time.  She never revealed which order she thought it might be.  I have often wondered if it would be the Jesuits, because they have been so maligned throughout their existence, even suppressed, yet the Jesuits endure and they turn out great martyrs and saints, even in our day.  Imagine how much Our Lady loves her sons!

1 comment:

  1. Sure there are some bad Jesuit apples but that is the way of all religious orders and among us, the common folk.

    I have always loved San Ignacio and I look forward to the day when I might catch a glimpse of him. In the meantime, I hear tell there is a movie about him that was made with the help of some Filipino Jesuits.

    I went on a retreat once with with a faithful son of the Church here in Los Angeles, Father Bill Delaney, SJ. I met Fr. John Hardon, SJ once. I like Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ,
    Cardinal Avery Dulles, SJ. He was a giant in the American Catholic Church and still is very much respected to this day.

    Let us not forget the great Padre Miguel Pro, SJ Viva Cristo Rey! That beautiful witness/truth of the faith will forever be attributed to a Jesuit.

    God bless them all!

    Blessed Miguel Pro Quotes (showing 1-1 of 1)

    “Here in the midst of the vortex I am amazed by the special aid of God, the very special graces He grants us in such perils, and how His Presence is now more intimately felt when discouragement comes to make our souls smaller.”

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.