Saturday, November 28, 2015

Back online ...

I tried to touch them to make sure they weren't holograms or anything ...


This is probably the longest time I've been offline in years.  No Internet, no email - nothing.  I caught the news on network TV and PBS - no print news, no radio.  Aside from a bit of television I was probably as unconnected as a Carthusian.  I didn't even follow coverage on Francis in Africa on EWTN.

It was an excellent break.

I got the laptop back today.  I surfed a couple of blogs and Catholic social media portals and realized I didn't miss much.  Just a quick skim at Pewsitters was enough to jolt me into a fresh sense of recognition that the site is corrupted by detraction simply in and through their headline copy.  New Advent struck me as a sort of scolding school for bad Catholics ... the same old, same old Catholic authorities criticizing 'faux' whatever.  Writing faux religious rules in the ethernet.  It reminds me of the Scripture: For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world ... and online-evangelists.

The Internet can be oppressive - you think you're in control, but these weird people infect your interior life with bits of malware.  People need to unplug from time to time.  A friend asked if my computer was possessed - in a sense it was - by trojans and malware.   Our brains pick up crap like that as well - our faith gets corrupted - we pick up these negative bits and criticisms, calumnies and detraction, all sorts of filth and we are influenced by all of it - whether we think so or not.

I jokingly emailed my friend, writing:  I just skimmed through blog links - same old same old. I talked to real living people at Best Buy and it was so weird. I tried to touch them to make sure they weren't holograms or anything - but they backed away. I've been sequestered for far too long - I have been living online. The wonderful thing I discovered is that the 'real' people I meet - they do not talk or act like the people online say they do. They are really pretty nice - they don't scream at me or tell me mean things or anything like that.

I may not return next time. I may follow one of them home and ask if they'll adopt me.  You can't do that with online 'friends and followers' - they're not real - they are just online.  When I was offline - no one was there.  No one.



14 comments:

  1. I missed you! Your post today makes me think of the OT readings the past two days from Daniel - the 10 horns and the arrogant mouth, etc.

    Tomorrow I start the Fr. Gaitley version of de Montforts Consecration to Mary - please pray for me! I can't even finish a novena - not sure how I am going to get through 33 days of preparation! My friend told me Mama Mary invited me on this journey and not to worry.

    Glad you are back :)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweetie - I will pray - pray for me too. Our Lady welcomes us as we are - she understands the difficulties I'm convinced. Just keep up as best you can. Maybe she'll come to you like she did with Catherine Laboure? She anticipates us in our devotions you know.

      Delete
    2. Thank you - that means a lot!

      Delete
    3. Sorry I hijacked your combox with my consecration news. I even considered not posting it but it seems it was divinely inspired!

      Delete
  2. Terry, I agree with every word that you said, and I, too, missed you.

    Angela!! 33 Days to Morning Glory. I'm starting it tomorrow, too!! I have it marked on my calendar for every day, and will get a daily alert to remind me. I will pray for you, and please pray for me, also, as I started it once before and did not complete it. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie - that's wonderful! Yes, I will pray for you!

      Delete
  3. Angela ! Maggie ! I too am 'beginning' it tomorrow ! the Reason I say 'beginning' is that, like Angela, it is impossible ( but...why...? ) for me to finish hardly anything anymore. Especially any set prayers, etc. Isn't prayer 'a cry from the heart', anyway ? I 'began' it on the 8th November, and fell hopelessly behind from the depressing circumstances of my life. Which I am So Happy to turn over totally to Our Lady.
    The on-line alerts don't work for me.....like, Pray More Novenas, it just makes me smile.
    Terry: I missed you so much ! Two words for you: Google.Chrome. no worries. although mine is samsung Chrome, only $250 when I got it: amazing the amount of abuse it takes. really. water:cat food: crumbs: yarn: falls: neglect. It remembers all your passwords. safe from virus, flu, trolls, mal-ware.
    It is genius. I was 'off' for a week or so, here and there, willingly, but it calls to me, over & over, are we all junkies, now ? Thoreau would be so appalled.
    All art work: on-line: from all over the world, right here, in my eyes....and Cathedrals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consolata - I am praying for you too during this time of preparation. I am hoping that since it coincides with Advent - also a time of preparation and anticipation - that the season will prove to be a great inspiration for you, me and Maggie.

      Delete
  4. Every time we come ask if you can play, Gabi says meow and slams the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you return Terry. In agreement with Maggie about what you have posted. I will be praying for everyone too. I ask for a few kind words in prayer as I am home tonight nursing a pesky cold/throat/ears burning whatever. :p

    Called in sick and the boss was none too pleased but who wants a nurse thats blowing her nose and sneezing and hacking? Not I!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be glad to be back in view of the number of blog posts. LOL! We're all addicted. If you want a taste of the real world come visit me and we'll babysit for some of my grandkids. Today I went to take one to pre-school who was having a kicking, screaming fit. I told him he's not the boss and held his hands to keep him from hitting me. Then I sang him a song about the ugly duckling who turned into a swan. By the time we got to pre-school he had calmed down, but will no doubt have more fits when he gets home. Yup -- that's the real world all right. And I love it! His 5-year-old sister just drew me a picture of herself between me and "Paka." Lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know. It's like I never left.

      Let me tell you - although I know you know it - you are so immensely blessed to have a family! To have those little grand kids - and they are equally blessed to have you and 'Paka'! So sweet!

      May blessings just keep pouring in.

      Delete
  7. I thought it was strange that I was able to catch up on your posts when I checked over the weekend. It is SO good to step away for a while. I guess that's true for a lot of things though. Father Z didn't post much either. Maybe there's a conspiracy afoot.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.