Monday, August 26, 2013

Who are we to judge?



 
 
I thought it was, "Who am I to judge?"
 
The Pope started it.  Wasting no time, opportunists have taken up the mantra, the banner, the sash... adding to the confusion.
“A gay identity can inspire and deepen a Christian faith,” author John Paul Godges told the Ignatian News Network in its new video series on gay Catholics. The quote took on a life of its own, making the headline of a news item about the series in The Raw Story, a progressive news site that reaches five million viewers per month.

“My Christian faith has been a source of strength in my spiritual journey throughout my life as a gay man,” Godges told the Ignatian News Network. “My experience as a gay man has been a source of strength in my Christian journey.”

Ignatian News Network is affiliated with Loyola Productions, a Jesuit-sponsored film production company based in Los Angeles. The network’s series on gay Catholics is called “Who Are We to Judge?”—a reference to a comment made last month by Pope Francis, the Catholic Church’s first-ever Jesuit pope. - Press release

And then there is this from The Most Reverend Jose Raul Vera Lopez, Roman Catholic Bishop of Saltillo - he was inspired by Pope Francis' statement, "Who am I to judge?"  Homophobia is a mental illness.

Call me crazy, but I think just an 'irrational fear' of homosexuality may be classified as a phobia/mental illness/disorder.  Heterophobia might be classified as such too - but In 1973 the Board of Trustees of the APA voted to remove homosexuality as a disorder category from the DSM.

What?

Bonus! 
Jeopardy Answer: "The Pope enjoys, by divine institution, supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls." - CCC

Jeopardy Question: "Who am I to judge?" 

Someone tell Francis. ;) 

4 comments:

  1. why be concerned...Elizabeth Scalia says Pope Francis is just using the media for his ends, cause hes a crafty Jesuit..... we'll back to praying for that ever so fleeting clarity from the Vatican

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James - as you were commenting, I added a Bonus feature.

      Delete
  2. "...people are always talking, you know they're always talking...everybody's so wrong that I know it's gonna work out right..."

    It must be tough to always have to define yourself by your sexual inclinations. Seriously. Must totally freakin' suck.

    I am so bored by gay people. Just bored to tears by gay this, gay that, blahblahblah, gaygaygay.

    Can't we just be people?

    Some days I really do get why a few brave souls head for the hills and become hermits, go off the grid. It must be nice just to be a person again. :~/

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.