"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Who are we to judge?

I thought it was, "Who am I to judge?"
The Pope started it.  Wasting no time, opportunists have taken up the mantra, the banner, the sash... adding to the confusion.
“A gay identity can inspire and deepen a Christian faith,” author John Paul Godges told the Ignatian News Network in its new video series on gay Catholics. The quote took on a life of its own, making the headline of a news item about the series in The Raw Story, a progressive news site that reaches five million viewers per month.

“My Christian faith has been a source of strength in my spiritual journey throughout my life as a gay man,” Godges told the Ignatian News Network. “My experience as a gay man has been a source of strength in my Christian journey.”

Ignatian News Network is affiliated with Loyola Productions, a Jesuit-sponsored film production company based in Los Angeles. The network’s series on gay Catholics is called “Who Are We to Judge?”—a reference to a comment made last month by Pope Francis, the Catholic Church’s first-ever Jesuit pope. - Press release

And then there is this from The Most Reverend Jose Raul Vera Lopez, Roman Catholic Bishop of Saltillo - he was inspired by Pope Francis' statement, "Who am I to judge?"  Homophobia is a mental illness.

Call me crazy, but I think just an 'irrational fear' of homosexuality may be classified as a phobia/mental illness/disorder.  Heterophobia might be classified as such too - but In 1973 the Board of Trustees of the APA voted to remove homosexuality as a disorder category from the DSM.


Jeopardy Answer: "The Pope enjoys, by divine institution, supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls." - CCC

Jeopardy Question: "Who am I to judge?" 

Someone tell Francis. ;) 


  1. why be concerned...Elizabeth Scalia says Pope Francis is just using the media for his ends, cause hes a crafty Jesuit..... we'll back to praying for that ever so fleeting clarity from the Vatican

    1. James - as you were commenting, I added a Bonus feature.

  2. "...people are always talking, you know they're always talking...everybody's so wrong that I know it's gonna work out right..."

    It must be tough to always have to define yourself by your sexual inclinations. Seriously. Must totally freakin' suck.

    I am so bored by gay people. Just bored to tears by gay this, gay that, blahblahblah, gaygaygay.

    Can't we just be people?

    Some days I really do get why a few brave souls head for the hills and become hermits, go off the grid. It must be nice just to be a person again. :~/


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.