"Are we prepared to promote conditions in which the living contact with God can be reestablished? For our lives today have become godless to the point of complete vacuity. God is no longer with us in the conscious sense of the word. He is denied, ignored, excluded from every claim to have a part in our daily life." - Alfred Delp, S.J.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

What I think of Valentine's Day...


Not much.
I thought I should mention him though - since he is a saint - although there are several Valentines, three commemorated in the old martyrology on February 14. I know the Roman Church celebrates Cyril and Methodius on this date, therefore I assume St. Valentine is no longer celebrated universally. The 'holiday' in the U.S. is little more than a spectacle of sentimental camp and romance.
I chose this picture of St. Valentine as patron of epileptics. He is depicted healing an epileptic young man.

2 comments:

  1. This is better than my post. Although, Terry, how about a least chucking some flowers down Cathy's way? Friends can give other friends flowers for Valentine's Day, except, of coarse if that friend is a guy. LOL!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is also invoked against fainting.
    I have to be the matron of honor in a Tridentine wedding on July 19th in a non air conditioned church.

    I intend to speak to St. Valentine very soon.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.