Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pope Francis and poverty... I keep thinking about those shoes..



The Pope has certainly aroused my early love for poverty...

Even if I'm indiscreet about it.  FYI: I hated the 'old' vestments Pope Francis wore yesterday.  Truly I did.  I keep thinking about those shoes too!  Those dented toed black ones!  I hate them.  haha!  I hate looking poor and tacky.  I really do.  Just last week I was secretly feeling ashamed of my beat up seven year old winter jacket and the same old jean and worn black shoes I wear - to church!  Don't tell anyone - I sit off to the side in the dark and no one notices.  Anyway, the Pope inspires me, but I need to be careful, because I could become proud of being poor, or mortifying myself to death.  (Not gonna happen. ;)

I think Americans, and nearly everyone in the First World - are afraid of poverty - we don't like the poor - that's one reason why they are segregated into slums or shooed away from shopping districts and better neighborhoods.  We don't like being poor either.  We naturally are repelled by poor and shabby.  We like shiny and new and pretty.  American Christians - especially the Prosperity Gospel types, and their Catholic 'uild it big and glorious' types, seem to have an Old Testament view of things, and pretty much see poverty as a punishment from God, or a result of not tithing enough, or - fill in the blanks - I know you can offer some legitimate excuses.  Just kidding - kind of.  I don't really know what anyone thinks... although I'm fairly certain just about all my readers disagree with me.  That's better for me - it really is - unfriend me, please.

Anyway, aside from quips from Blessed Angela, I'll add quotes from some other saints. 

The first is Dorothy Day - I know - I said I didn't like her - but I really do.  In addition, she's there when I need her.  In fact - she and the Pope would seem to get along well.  Fancy-schmanzie Cardinal(s) of her day didn't like the idea of abject poverty either.
February 12
It is hard to convince anyone, priest or people, that charity must forgive seventy times seven, and that we must not judge.  The bitterness with which people regard the poor and
down and out.  Drink, profligate living, laziness, everything is suspected.  They help them once, they come to the door, but they come back!  They want more help.  'Where will it end?  Can I accomplish anything?  Aren't there poorer people whom i should be helping?'  These are the questions they ask themselves which paralyzes all charity, chills it, stops all good work.  If we start by admitting that what we can do is very little - a drop in the bucket - and try to do that very well, it is a beginning and a really great deal. - The Fifties, Dorothy Day
 
When we measure, dissect, analyze, categorize - poverty and charity - we miss.  We strain gnats.

The 'romantic' poverty of Therese of Lisieux and ugly stuff.
Sister Therese would keep for her own use only what was strictly indispensable, and the uglier and poorer these were, the happier she was.  She used to say that there was nothing sweeter than to lack what was necessary, because then you could say you were really poor.  She urged me never to ask for anything to be bought without first assuring myself that there was no other alternative, and then I was to choose unhesitatingly what was cheapest, like really poor people do. - Marie of the Trinity ocd, testimony for beatification of S. Therese.
 
Of course little Therese knew she had a 'safety net' in life - that being the community, which is perhaps why, after she began getting very sick, she said to herself, "If I fall, someone will find me."  More deeply, her heroic virtue, her poverty of spirit made her grasp that her only safety-net was Our Lord - and she wished for no other.

On the poverty of Christ.

I've always loved the following from Bl. Angela... a meditation from Philippians.*
The third and supreme degree of poverty is that Christ put away from him his own nature.  First because he made himself poor and needy, laying aside his own power, he, the Omnipotent, unto whom nothing was impossible, desired to appear and to live in the world as a man, weak and infirm - and impotent, in order beside the human miseries, the helpless childhood and other burdens which he took upon himself for our sake, he who was without blame or sin might appear as a feeble man.  Truth be told, he endured much weariness in his journeys, visitations, and disgrace. - Chapter X
 
Christ too had a 'safety-net' for his poverty - he is after all God...  notice the header?  He carries his greatest treasure.


Disclaimer - FYI:  Diocesan priest do not take a vow of poverty, neither do Benedictines and consecrated persons of several other congregations.  So priests can own and travel - although Canon Law asks that they maintain a spirit of poverty.  Monastics take a vow of stability, and can pretty much manipulate that to mean whatever they want, just as some religious do with their vows of poverty.  God love them.

Song for this post here.

Yeah!  I got it back. 

*He who is God the Son "did not regard equality with God something to be grasped." In becoming man, "he emptied himself" and by that choice he restored all human beings, however poor and deprived, to their original dignity. - JPII

23 comments:

  1. I believe Francis bought those shoes at Bed Stu which makes poor seemingly old shoes but charges a lot but he then dyed them black...
    http://www.bedstu.com/scorpio-ii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should keep thinking about the red ones then - they seem to be the popular choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Terry,
    St. Paul was out in the world unlike our religious orders. He does not do their worship of poverty in Philippians 4:12
    " I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need."
    Security...you have it in your art talent even when the art market is dry because everyone is photographing with their cell phone which makes that area consume a lot of humanity's need for the visual.
    Start tutoring young people in their NY apartments in art after school at $40 an hour. Make your ad on your computer and pass it out at private schools like Montessouri to highly motivated parents as they pick up their children on the upper east side or west side or Chelsea etc. Stress that it saves babysitting fees for that hour. Religious order people have a safety net. Paul did not. He made tents but also Christians were more communal then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:20 PM

    I am skeptical about the popularity this Pope seems to be enjoying thus far, and particularly because of the notion of his being a Pope for the poor. I am not skeptical of him, but I am skeptical of some reactions to him. In God's Providence, I think people can be brought back to faith because of the Pope's 'poor' and humble example - as well as his genuine concern for us all.

    But I do wonder if many will stop short of faith, faith in Christ, I mean. And so miss what His providing for the poor, when He did, was ultimately all about:

    http://www.piercedhearts.org/benedict_xvi/most_important_jesus_of_nazareth.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poverty means more than old shoes. For the Pope, I believe it is an outer sign of an inner reality, which has to do with the real meaning of "freedom and liberation" which he has spoken about. The Church's love of preference for the poor is in Mary's Magnificat. God lifts up the lowly, like Mary, who is'totally dependent on God and directed towards Him, and at the side of her Son.'(Redemptoris Mater, P. JPII) It's poverty of spirit. It's the mission of the Church. Not being fixated on having or not having.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    I think that THOSE shoes seem to him very good quality and in fact rich, considering that he has seen so many with nothing to wear.
    That's sort of what happens to me, when I leave my house I believe that I am dress as a princess and that I have all anyone can wish for...until I meet someone else...Then I realise
    he will adapt, maybe


    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for mentioning St. Therese. Few people understand how much it cost her to take the poorest and the ugliest things, since she loved beauty and especially she loved nice clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paul - I appreciate your humor.

    Puff - Your Queen is a Constitutional Monarch - 'Rule Britannia!' - and she wears a pretty crown - how many crowns do you need?

    Bill - thanks for the advice. A woman from the UK is suggesting similar occupations for me. LOL! I'm not looking for a job... I also try not to let people find out what it is I do in my free time...

    Patrick - I'm skeptical of me.

    Pat - that's right. What's right?

    Mrs. Wells. Shoes complete the outfit for some. I knew a very fiery priest with a reputation for holiness who maybe never washed the feet of the poor on Holy Thursday, but he was a Discalced Carmelite tertiary who always wore sandals with his cassock - he wore the cassock every place he could - but when he had to wear clericals (suit) he wore his sandals - because discalced is poor. That's an edifying story, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elena - thanks - and you are welcome. I get the feeling you understand what I'm getting at. BTW - your comment posted as I was posting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's right? Sorry. I wasn't clear. I only write a bit of what I'm thinking and hope... well, anyway, St. Therese is right. Detachment. From material things,sensual things, spiritual consolations,etc. Mary is our model for poverty. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat - you are right - I was agreeing with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you. I am dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just keep thinking about those shoes...700 years ago...and how Catholics around the world (well, around Europe anyway) had no idea what they looked like or what color they were or what they were made of or what the man who wore them wore along with them. With the exception of a few rich frogs in Avignon, France, and some emissaries who travelled back and forth from royal courts, Catholics didn't even know what the owner of those shoes looked like. They had no idea what his liturgical style was or how the candles on his altar were arranged (they weren't; candles wouldn't be put on top of altars until the 1600s). They didn't know what his name was before he became pope and it's probable that most didn't know what name he took after he became pope.

    In their very real poverty they had no learning, for the most part, no books, no education, no capacity for travel. For most Catholics throughout history, it is likely that the word "pope" never crossed their lips and that the Vatican never lingered in their minds.

    Some were fortunate enough to go on pilgrimage...if they had health and vigor...an adventure that they might or might not return from after many months or even years...on foot.

    And yet without having any concern at all for the pope's shoes or the pope's vestments or the pope's "ars celebrandi" or the pope's candlesticks or the pope's mozzetta or lack thereof--without a thought for the pope at all--most Catholics throughout history managed to make sense out of life and of the economy of salvation...something I find very difficult to do in this day and age wherein, somehow, we know every single minute detail of everything in the pope's closet and sacristy and in which we battle one another on the internet over the "meaning" of it all.

    Ah, to be a simple poor Catholic 700 years ago...when whatever living beings were in Argentina at that time were doing whatever it is that they were doing, unaware of a Saviour called Jesus Christ, unaware of a God who created them and loved them all just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, to be a simple poor Catholic 700 years ago...

    Ain't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. In one sense, yes. But then again it is nice to be able to live at a time and place where half our children don't die before they reach their teenage years, where war, rape, and pillage are not the norm, where most diseases are not incurable (i just rexently had a nasty infection that could have been deadly centuries ago, or even in some places today) where the state's punishments don't include burning at the stake, impaling, etc.

    I love the Middle Ages - it's one of my favorite periods of history, and I admire the simple faith of people back then. But let's not romanticize them. I make that mistake sometimes too, when I feel cynical about the modern world.

    But then again, for those who will listen, is it not a great blessing to be familiar with the tracings and the person of the Holy Father? If some people want to get upset about mozettas and the like, let them. It doesn't change this great blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant "teachings" not "tracings" of course.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the story.
    I also find a lot of people trying to 'steal' the pope's gestures to support their own ideology. maybe the shoes are just comfortable for him,uhh

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mercury:

    It wasn't my intention to romanticize the Middle Ages (I would be the last Christian in the world to do that). I might have chosen any other time in history more distant in the past than the advent of mass media. My point was that for most of the history of the Church, the lives of Catholics did not reference, much less revolve around, the papacy. Most were all but completely oblivious to the person and affairs of the Pope of Rome; the trappings of the papacy were of absolutely no interest to anybody not directly present at the papal court.

    This modern tendency of Catholics to hang on the pope's every word and to follow every detail of his every move, looking in vain for deep and profound "meaning" in his socks and hats and candlesticks is astounding.

    I wonder if there were groups of Jews who split themselves into factions over what the High Priest wore as he led worship in the Temple of Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think you were, James, but this response also has some great points, so I'm glad I caused you to post it :)

      Delete
  20. If you think my points are great you should see my shoes.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.