Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Solemn Saturday.



I got a haircut yesterday and had a good long talk with the woman who cuts my hair.  She's available when her uncle is out of town.  They work together.  She goes to my parish, and let me in on the reasons why our pastor is being moved.  Progressives in the parish didn't like him and would like the school to be less 'Catholic' and more embracing of LGBTQism and transgender ideology.  

Then we talked about caring for older people who have dementia/Parkinson's, etc..  I talked with her for over an hour.  She went through the same thing with her mom and dad.  Like COVID-19, it seems the dementia is only going to get worse.  I'm a bit overwhelmed by the thought.  I guess I have to be more assertive in care-giving.  She said I was too easy going.  (I know people will want to give good advice and will offer help - but right now I need to chill and pray about everything.)  At a time of pandemic, I don't think going out to the doctors or seeking outside help is appropriate right now.  I also think I can handle bathing him and household chores.  

Everything is a grace, and sorrow is no exception.  I see everything as an opportunity to sanctify each moment, to offer everything as a sacrifice in gratitude, and to pray and exercise myself in charity.  (I know that sounds terribly pious, but it is the way I have coped throughout my life, from childhood abuse, depression and panic attacks, as well as every other crisis in life.)  Pray very much for my friend, and pray for me for patience and charity.

Thanks.

5 comments:

  1. It has been a difficult week with no early end in sight. Beware of parish gossip it is often wrong or exaggerated by the speaker. As we shut down her in Western New York the virus is only one challenge we face. Prayers for you, your friend and all who visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pray for you as well, dear Terry. Being a caregiver is never an easy task, but when it comes to having no one else to care for a person, it is a greater responsibility. God bless you and all those who do what must be done to lovingly care for those who have no one else. Be well and safe, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember haircuts....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, I understand everything you have written. My mom's memory is fading and that makes me very sad. She can still dress herself and make some simple dishes. I do need to coax her into bathing and changing her clothes though. She was always so fastidious about her appearance. She watches the news and will ask about the pandemic then forgets. I am praying more, gracias a Dios. I cry more too because I live with two drug addict brothers who seem to be in denial and just don't seem to understand how serious this is. You are blessed to live with your friend in quiet solitude. Let's take refuge under Saint Joseph's powerful protection. May this pandemic as serious as it is bring us all closer to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are still allowed to attend daily Mass (to a maximum of 50 people) so as long as that continues I will pray for you at Mass Terry. Also some good news amidst all that is happening: https://catholicherald.co.uk/holy-see-grants-indulgence-to-coronavirus-patients-and-catholics-who-pray-for-them/?fbclid=IwAR3Ml_r5rzAeH8sIBMjzGT4ngGdv3LUdcH9OCYbjP-RsMlYLlib8JMLX5d0

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.