Saturday, February 02, 2013

Question: Since the NCReporter is so bad...



Then why do "Real"* Catholic sites link to them?

Why do they even read the NCR?  Why do they reprint articles they like - or don't like - from the NCR?  Why don't they boycott the NCR?  Why do they keep promoting the NCR?

I was just on Pewsitters and clicked on this heading: Card. Mahoney: 'Not once' did successor raise questions... more  The 'more' is an article from the NCR: Mahoney responds to ban.

Personally - I only find myself at either of the NCRs (Reporter/Register) if and when I run across a link in another person's blog post, or when a piece is hi lighted by a news portal.  Sometimes I Google a subject and find myself there by happenstance.  Like I said in an earlier post last week, the newspaper has interviewed many many Catholics over the years - big name Catholics, if you will.  Just their archival cache seems to me to be a valuable resource... yet why do big name/'real' Catholics grant interviews if it is such a bad newspaper.  Why support it for all of these years?

Yes, of course I agree with Bishop Finn calling them out - but I have to wonder why so many Catholic sites continue to promote the NCR - because even negative reporting on the company and their policies, as well as linking to articles at their site, promotes readership and revenue.

Just saying.



*Note: I'm not a 'Real' Catholic.  I'm a Roman Catholic.  This isn't a Catholic blog per se, I'm just a Catholic layman who keeps a web log and I talk about my Catholic life/faith.  I don't read many newspapers or periodicals.  I don't visit a lot of Catholic blogs or web-magazine sites.  I skim through a couple of news portals online - but do not click on many stories.  I only read a few blogs these days.  I do not listen to the radio and never have listened to talk radio, I watch less and less TV - I don't have cable - but I'll catch Network/BBC news.  I never play games online.  I do on occasion look for YouTube videos for fun.  Oh - I'll buy movies but rarely go to the theater.  So my exposure to media is limited.  I guess I read a lot. But I rarely, if ever promote books on my site.  My blog is non-commercial, I do not ask for donations either.  There is nothing wrong with earning money for blogging or blogging for profit - nothing wrong with it at all, BTW.  I just can't be managed, nor do I feel I have to post to boost traffic and revenue, nor can I be beholden to anyone to post what conforms to their standards.  That is the reason I remain independent.  I do link to my sources for a post, but that is about the extent of my promotional efforts.  I like to keep things simple and uncomplicated.  I also want to stay little.  Someone called me a filthy bum yesterday, and after my initial surprise, I realized how wonderful it was that he did so.  I'm not worthy.
 

6 comments:

  1. They like the panda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can be filthy bums together. You're one of a kind and a gift from God and don't you ever forget it. xoxo Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouldn't that be hygiene-challenged vagrant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the criticism was directly solely at the editorials and not the news portion of the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moonshadow - you are right - but I get the impression the fish mongers trash the whole business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wondered the same thing. There's lots of stuff I don't read because I just don't like the approach.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.